RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Bag Storage at NYC Penn Station?

Author Topic: Bag Storage at NYC Penn Station?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

A friend is going to be taking the train from Washington to Boston and would like to stop for a couple of hours in NYC so he can visit Ground Zero. The Amtrak website says that there is a "Left Luggage" facility at Penn Station. Is that true? Where is it located? What is the fee?

Thanks in advance.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I haven't had a response to this question. Don't fail me now, folks! I was bragging about how good you all are about coming up with answers. [Frown]

Surely somebody out there has recent experience with this.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had any need to temporarily store a bag at Penn Station. But several years back, a friend did so at the checked baggage area for about six bucks. Since we now live in an increasingly paranoid era, that policy may have changed (regardless of what the website says).

If your friend does stash his/her bag there for a few hours, they should return to the station with plenty of time to spare. If they cut it too close, they may find themselves at the end of a long line of long distance passengers who are either picking up or dropping off checked baggage. That's a great way to miss your train.

-----------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the answer, Frank, is that nobody's done it before. I think if your friend takes the Acela they can use the lounge and put the bag in there?

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's TrainGranny when you need her? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, found some info from another site, it is from 2009 but it sounds like baggage storage is handled like in LAX, by the baggage check folks.

This is what was stated there:

"As stated, there are no lockers at NYP. There is a luggage area within the Club Acela Lounge at NY, but it is not a locked room guarded by a red cap like it is in Chicago. It is an open room to anyone who has access to Club Acela. Therefore you don't want to leave anything of major value in your bags, even though I've never heard of anyone ever having a problem.

If you want more security, then head to the baggage check area where you can day check you bags for $5 per bag."

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. I was starting to feel that I might have offended someone!

Surely, though, someone here has had recent experience with this.

Frank in now sunny and warm SBA

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is inconceivable to me that you could ever offend anyone!
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank?? No way!

(Me, on the other hand.......) [Smile]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I haven't been around! There is left luggage facility in NY Penn Station. Very secure and professional, with quite good hours (like maybe 6AM to 10PM but I'm just guessing). The charge was $4.50 a bag, last time I used it, but I gather it's now gone up to $5. The facility is near the SW corner on the Amtrak ticket level--that is, if you face the long row of ticket windows, it's on the left wall, a tad east of the corner where the Club ACELA and street escalator (up to W31st & 8th Avenue) are. It's ths ame place where you check your luggage for the trains themselves (assuming a train with checked luggage capacity). If in doubt, ask any police officer or Red Cap.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Thanks! I've forwarded you message to my friend.

Frank in warm and sunny SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page