RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » LAX - SBA suggestions

Author Topic: LAX - SBA suggestions
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Late next month we'll be heading west from Atlanta. Our first stop for 24 hours of R&R is SBA. We'll have 3 hours between stumbling off the Texas Eagle at 0630 and the 1025 departure of the CS. I guess we'll let a red cap handle our bags.

Any suggestions for a quiet but interesting spot to visit at that hour? I assume the CS still serves a continental type breakfast in the PPC, so we'll wait til then to eat (but will need substantial amounts of coffee before).

We have explored Santa Barbara's harbor area in the past, so I plan on getting a rental for a day to see any must see sights in the area and would like any ideas you may have. We don't want to go too far that afternoon since our time is limited.

Also suggestions welcomed for dinner that night. While we enjoyed our dinner on the harbor in the past we'd like something a bit different, perhaps in the hills overlooking the city. We'll be leaving on the Surfliner the next am for Guadalupe.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only comment on the PPC food question:

They now serve more than just a continental breakfast. I think what you're used to is where they set out muffins and pastries, along with cereal, milk, yogurt, and fruit. Unfortunately, those days are gone. Instead, they now serve a full breakfast that is specifically tailored to the PPC. When you board, you will see the PPC menu and it will show you what you can order (it's a totally different menu than the dining car).

Coffee is still available el-freebo, both in your sleeper and in the PPC.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty--

Did they offer the two choices in the Parlour Car on you last trip north? That really surprises me since it is so close to lunch.

Palmland--

There is always Philippe's, a short walk from LAUPT. You could have breakfast or lunch. It's a very casual, order at the counter kind of place. Sawdust on the floor and a true cross-section of Los Angeles among the clients. And there are some great model trains in the second dining room back from the front door.

There's also Olvera Street, directly across from Union Station. It and the Plaza are where Los Angeles began. If you want to go a bit further a visit to the Disney Concert Hall and/or the Cathedral might be interesting. Or the Bradbury Building -- you've seen it in lots of movies and TV shows. All are reachable using the DART busses.

Sadly, Santa Barbara really doesn't have anything with a view up in the hills. The El Encanto Hotel (about a block and a half from our place) is still under reconstruction. It's now an Orient-Express property and they say it will reopen "Early 2013". I don't believe it.

I wouldn't recommend any of the places on the wharf. Locals like Brophy Bros. at the Marina (upstairs -- it can be VERY LOUD) or Chuck's Steakhouse almost next door in the same building as the Maritime Museum. Upstairs the same owners have The Endless Summer which is more casual dining but actually has a better view.

We recently discovered Arch Rock Fish on Anacapa Street. Very good quality. It's not cheap (Entrees run from $20 to $30 a la carte.)

Have you booked a place to stay? That can be very important in the summer, especially so if you are here on a weekend.

For a day out a drive up San Marcos Pass Road past Lake Cachuma to Solvang and Buellton would be fun. You could come back down 101 and get some views of the coast. Cold Spring Tavern just past the crest of the hill would be a good place to stop for lunch. Lots of history -- it was a stage coach stop.

If you have more questions feel free to write to me at my screen name @ cox.net.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty - thanks, too bad about the change in breakfast but I guess it's good for those who eat hearty then. Maybe we'll skip lunch.

Frank- good info, as always. We'll probably just explore the Olvera area as we've not seen it. The info on the drive sounds like just the thing. We may contact you as the time gets closer.

We do have a spot to stay at this hotel. We like it as it's our style, not too expensive (for Santa Barbara), sort of a cross between an old time motel and a new age B&B.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland--

I know exactly where this hotel is. Friends have stayed there and enjoyed it very much.

As you probably know, you can walk from the Amtrak station if you don't have too much luggage and know where to cross the tracks!

The Waterfront/State Street/Montecito shuttles may well be 50 cents a ride by the time you get here. They were free, then 25 cents and who knows what will come next. We may also lose our free 75 minute parking downtown (including the Amtrak lot). Tough times even in "America's Riviera".

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
palmland: After I read yours and Frank's comments, I had to call my buddy that I traveled with to see if he remembered how breakfast was handled out of Los Angeles on #14. According to him, my memory is wrong, and he said there was NO food served in the PPC at all---until lunch. The PPC was open and they had their full beverage and snack menu available, but there were no meals (and no muffins, fruit, yogurt, or anything like that).

So to the original question, I need to amend my answer. Sorry 'bout that! But it looks like they do not serve breakfast in the PPC on day one out of LA. However, the first lunch service begins at 11:30AM, which is only 1 hour after departure. If you find that you like something on the PPC lunch menu, I would eat in the Parlour Car instead of the Diner. It's so relaxing---you get the table to yourself (there is no shared seating like there is in the Diner), and it's a much calmer, slower pace. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Thanks for the update, Smitty. While we rode the southbound CS a couple years ago, it's been a long time since we took it out of LA. It may have left a bit earlier then, but I do remember OJ and pastry type goodies. I think it wasn't long after the train was marketed as a premium train and they were handing out Starlight branded trinkets like coffee mugs.

Not sure if we'll have time for lunch before SBA but may give it a try. In any event we'll be on it a few days later from SLO to EMY after our stop in SBA and then visiting friends in the area.

mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the unlikely event of the TE arriving on time, or even early (ok, maybe not!) is it still possible to change your ticket and take the Surfliner at 7.35 or 9.05 if you didn't want to hang around in LA?

In 2003 I arrived in LAX on the SWC having given myself four hours padding to make my SBA connection only for the train to arrive early and I was able to change my ticket from the 12.30 to the 9.05.

I've stayed in SBA several times and am pretty sure I've stayed at that hotel as well. It was perfectly fine but it was at least six years ago and a lot can change in that time.

One minor point, looking at their website, is that the rate schedules haven't been updated since the summer of 2010 and the winter of 2010/11. It's probably insignificant but not having updated something as important as your published rates on your website in two years is the sort of thing that sets alarm bells ringing in my head. You start wondering what else they can't be bothered to do......

I was interested in Frank's comments about the restaurants around the seafront. I used to thoroughly enjoy eating at the Moby Dick on Stearns Wharf but the online reviews suggest that something has gone seriously wrong there in recent years.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mr. Williams--

We used to eat at Moby Dick (including it's earlier incarnation as a service station that was moved out to the wharf and converted to a cafe) a lot. When Frank (the "face" of Moby Dick) died things changed drastically. All of the wonderful Santa Barbara pictures and memorabilia were gone, along with the Sinatra music and the good service and food and reasonable prices.

They seem to be trying to rectify that but success has been marginal.

I organize a retiree breakfast for the first day of school (Sweet for retired teachers and staff!) and we had used Moby Dick for at least ten years (before I took over). The first year after the new management took over I was called a liar by the manager on duty and the food and service were abysmal.

There are plenty of other good places to go. A favorite is the Shoreline Cafe on the sand across from City College or the East Beach Grille, again on the sand, at, yes, East Beach.

As for using your ticket on an earlier train I would say yes if it's a coach ticket. You might need to go out front if it's a Business Class ticket but there should be little trouble doing that.

Frank in sunny and cool SBA

mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:

When Frank (the "face" of Moby Dick) died things changed drastically. All of the wonderful Santa Barbara pictures and memorabilia were gone,

If that's the guy I'm thinking of wasn't there a photo of him with President Clinton on the wall just to the right as you walked in?

I had the most magnificent lobster there on one occasion and a superb sole on another but the online reviews I've read recently only echo your experience [Frown]

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I must have had a "Senior Moment". The "Face of Moby Dick" (and part owner) was Al Steinman. And yes, there was a picture of him with Bill Clinton and also one with Ronald Reagan. The only place you can see stuff like that in this town anymore is at Harry's Plaza Cafe.

The piece I miss the most is the wonderful aerial photograph of Santa Barbara taken in the mid-50's. No freeway, little development, and an easier lifestyle.

Frank in sunny but cool SBA.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I must have had a "Senior Moment". The "Face of Moby Dick" (and part owner) was Al Steinman. And yes, there was a picture of him with Bill Clinton and also one with Ronald Reagan. The only place you can see stuff like that in this town anymore is at Harry's Plaza Cafe.

The piece I miss the most is the wonderful aerial photograph of Santa Barbara taken in the mid-50's. No freeway, little development, and an easier lifestyle.

Frank in sunny but cool SBA.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page