RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My first Amtrak trip

Author Topic: My first Amtrak trip
dclm
Member # 1891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dclm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will soon be taking my first Amtrak trip. I have layovers in Washington, DC and Chicago. Are there baggage lockers available to store my "stuff" while I play tourist?

I'll be taking the Crescent from S.C. to D.C., Capitol Limited to Chicago, the City of New Orleans to New Orleans, and the Crescent back to S.C. Any pointers or interesting tidbits that I should be aware of?

Many thanks.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can only speak for chicago. if you are going by sleeper you will be able to put your luggage in the amtrak metropolitan lounge. if you are going by coach there is a room off of the baggage pick up area that you can store your luggage in for a small fee. well worth it. the sears tower and the chicago river are right outside the station. enjoy your trip.
Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At Chicago Union Station, you'll find large, coin-operated luggage lockers inside the baggage claim area, as well as in the corridor just outside it. Many people prefer these, since the storage area inside the Metropolitan Lounge isn't constantly watched by Amtrak personnel.

You didn't mention whether you're going by coach or sleeper. I find the Metropolitan Lounge really gloomy, though. It's often overcrowded and chaotic.

Spend some time instead soaking up the atmosphere in the station's original waiting room. It's a monumental space, and extremely peaceful. It'll definitely put you in the right mood for your train journey.

Adjacent to the old waiting room, the Metro Cafe is a low-key place to grab a snack or even a full meal. The food is inexpensive. They have a bar in there, and some pool tables, too. Best of all, the place has atmosphere, with lots of railroad memorabilia (and sports stuff, too) hanging on the walls.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 08-25-2002).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DCLM -
With the connection you are making, you should have some time in Washington DC to walk to the Capitol Bldg -- it's about a 10-minute walk from Union Station, and you may even have time to walk around the "Mall" and maybe get to the Washington Mon't, Lincoln Memorial, and Viet Nam Memorial -- you probably will not have enough time to visit say, the Smithsonian or any of those attractions.

At Washington Union Station (WUS) itself, there is even quite a bit to do, as there are many shops and restaurants at the station, and even a fairly mid-range shopping mall on the upper level of WUS. If you are going in sleepers, the Washington Metropolitan Lounge is a nice place to store your bagagge and sit and relax -- it is pleasant and not nearly as crowded and chaotic as the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge.

Have a great trip!!

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 08-26-2002).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite places to grab a coffee or a quick lunch at Washington Union Station is the upper level of the restaurant America's annex in the Main Hall. You can't miss it--a large, classy wooden structure right in the middle of the hall. Dining on the upper level offers an unparalleled view of the grand space.

Another worthy mention is the Station Grill in the West Hall. Top-notch pub grub in a classic bar-restaurant setting.

There is a large food court below the ticket concourse, but I would recommend avoiding this. The decor and fare are similar to that offered in most malls, and the prices are not much cheaper than in the restaurants mentioned above. No point in leaving home for that.

A note about baggage: due to the climate of the times, coin-operated lockers in both Washington and Chicago may be off limits. Check with Amtrak for information about storage. I'm sure they have something.

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree about the upper level of America's restaurant. It is wonderful.

ON my recent trip, luggage lockers were available in Chicago (though with some wait to see an attendant for a combination), but not in Washington ("closed for security reasons").

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page