RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Florida to Alaska: part 3 - the long way home

Author Topic: Florida to Alaska: part 3 - the long way home
canaveral
Member # 15138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canaveral         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in Seattle, the clouds, rain, fog, and 48 degree temps followed us. There would be no viewing of Mt.Baker, Mt.Rainier, or Mt.Hood. The Seattle station main waiting room was now closed off. A "temporary" waiting area (how long has it been now? 25 yrs?) was provided on the north side, a small room with only 2 windows to the tracks and an outside door with no door handle. We would take a different route back to Florida. Check-in for the Coast Starlight was at 8:55am, the train backed in at 9am, and boarding commenced at 9:30am. With no red caps again available, we took the long trek forward.

#11(June 5): P42's97 & 18, baggage 1221, dorm 39022, sleepers 32081 IL, 32091 MN, 32009 George M. Pullman (ours, bedroom D), Pacific Parlor 39970 Columbia Valley, diner 38046, lounge 33020, coaches 34061, 34077, 31000.

Departure was on time at 9:45am and we arrived Portland a few minutes early. The adjacent Portland Builder had the same consist we'd seen on our Builder. GN Plum Creek and Mt.Hood sat nearby. Our sleeper was running cool then hot back & forth. Meals were served efficiently. On Cascade Summit, the train was held 8 min for a UP "efficiency test" and forms for the engineer to fill out. Huh? Never heard of such a thing. Street lights remained at the bad landslide site. Sacramento arrival was 1 hr early at a tough 5:15am.

We hung around the station as nothing was open at that hour and watched people and also the pigeons flying around the interior. I walked out trackside several times for exercise and noted the new station, tracks, platforms, and signals being installed. A trespasser had been hit east of Martinez and was throwing the morning rush into disarray. The eastbound Cal Zephyr showed 17 min late at 11:26am, a long and dull layover.

#6(June 6): P42's 195 & 117, baggage 1714, dorm 39012, coaches 31031, 34095, 34135, lounge 33018, diner 38057, sleepers 32067 (ours, bedroom E, and I miss a state-named sleeper on all 4 Superliner trains), 32006, 32065.

Donner Pass was its usual spectacular self and Donner Lake a beautiful green-blue. We recalled an overnight in Truckee some years ago. The next disappointment was our re-route across Wyoming due to trackwork in Colorado, thus we'd miss the Rockies, the canyons, and Moffatt. Some people like Wyoming's scenery but I find it blah. The train was hauled backwards from Salt Lake City to Ogden. UP track was bumpy out of Utah, but speedy. We raced all the way to Laramie before noontime, threading our past 23 freights. Meal service was pleasantly good even though the CZ has a poor reputation over the years.

Then it all seemed to halt at the Borie cutoff to Denver. We waited 19 min for #5, then 8 min for a pilot and briefing, and another 8 min when a defect detector went off. Crawling into Denver, then backing onto a station stub track, we nevertheless arrived 1 hr 15 min early at 4:20pm. P42 177 sat adjacent.

The new platform is where the far platforms used to be, still between the old station and Coors Field. One must now walk the length of the train forward to about the dorm car and cross a 5-lane highway to reach the temporary station. Baggage claim is just inside the waiting room to the far right. It's actually a decent-looking building. A giant mound of dirt sits where the end of the tracks once were.

Nearby severe storms and a handful of slow orders did not set us back much across Nebraska, but trackwork did over once again bumpy Iowa rails. Chicago was reached 50 min late on the revised Wyoming schedule at 1:40pm. We arrived way over on track 30 near the canal. This time we visited Willis (Sears) Tower as the day was sunny and 84.

The Lake Shore would take us for a visit with my folks before we returned to Florida. Boarding was at 8:30pm, and again, no red caps available. My wife was annoyed, though it was a short walk to track 28 with the sleepers on the rear. Departure was on time at 9:30pm. We did not opt for the wine and snacks in the diner.

#48(June 9): P42's 123 & 21, baggage 1754 (was on our Builder), Boston sleeper 62033 Scenic View, coaches 25048, 25049, lounge 28005, coaches 25072, 25024, 25004, 25055, diner 8400 (the only Viewliner diner and now named Indianapolis), New York sleepers 62034 Sea View (ours, bedroom B), 62025 Northern View, baggage 1731.

The bedroom was warm until we could open the door again in the morning and track speeds were good. Some delays occurred into Erie and Buffalo. Arrival at Schenectady was 30 min late at 2:25pm.

A railroad friend passed through the next evening on the Lake Shore, riding the same car and same bedroom we had; 10021 Pacific Cape and 10002 Corridor Clipper were also in tow. The Ethan Allen arrived from Rutland,VT shortly after. Trains from western NY were very late.

#296 - The Ethan Allen (June 10): P32DM 711, coaches 82716, 82806, 82593, 82261, cafe 48159.

Our final leg south began with Empire Service train #280, one of only 2 trains to connect with either Florida train in NYC. I was pleased seeing 3 freights across the Hudson River on the West Shore freight line as well as the Maple Leaf in Albany.

#63 (June 13): P42 123 (from our Lake Shore), long distance coaches 25068, 25000, 25057, NEC coach 82536, cafe 48188.

The southbound Silver Meteor was the next annoyance: the diner had to be cut, delaying the train in Sunnyside Yard 1 hr 30 min. We finally boarded at 4:30pm - yep, no red cap. We requested a red cap in the Acela Lounge upon arrival and I watched the agent place our name on the list. When 2 red caps appeared for #97, they ignored us and left. I asked if our name wasn't on the list for red caps and the agent said "no". Then they announce in the lounge for all others to report to gate 9East. Of course, that gate has the escalator moving upward and not down. I ask 2 uniformed personnel nearby to please allow us down. They shrug and say somebody will come by. Then the Solari Board shows #97 for gate 9West, not East. A returning red cap says "whatever they announce on the PA, go there." The PA said 9West, so we board in a huge crowd and behind most of the coach passengers.

Down below, I note the diner has been substituted with just a lounge car. My doubts of them producing a full dinner on 2 sandwich-sized microwaves proved correct. We're stuffed into the back of the lounge, with no window, so I miss seeing a good chunk of the Corridor, and dinner takes until 7:45pm (we always eat at 5 or 5:30pm) amidst a slow, carefree, babbling "service". I finally extract myself, leave no tip, and search out our upbeat and cheerful sleeper attendant. I ask if I can purchase food in the regular lounge and charge it to our room (I did that once on the Sunset when they played games with the dinner reservation times). He called his boss and said "yes". So that's what we did for breakfast and lunch the next day.

Later, in Washington, I was scolded by the attendant in the next sleeper for walking forward to watch the diesels back on (there's an escalator and public elevator up there and I've done it before). The conductor then came to our room and apologized, saying he could not reprimand an attendant in front of a passenger. Our upbeat attendant also got in the act and told the other guy not to talk to me the remainder of the trip. At least I recorded some more consists along the way back to home, but not the best way to end a fabulous trip.

#97(June 13): HHP electric 650 off at WAS, P42's 53 & 124, baggage 1753, sleepers 62022 Mountain View, 62032 River View, 62047 Village View (ours, bedroom B), substitute diner 28023, lounge 28013, coaches 25101, 25075, 25056, 25097, 25116. arrived Kissimmee,FL 1 hr 30 min late (pronounced kih-SIM-me).

#50 - The Cardinal(June 12): P42 24, baggage 1756, sleeper 62036 Skyline View, lounge 28016, coaches 25040, 25005, 25089, 25114. 3 hrs late at WAS.

#90 - The Palmetto(June 14): P42 78, baggage 1762, corridor coach 81511, cafe 43389, corridor coach 82543, long distance coaches 25112, 25036, 25118. ready to depart Savannah,GA.

#98(June 14): P42's 170 & 83, baggage 1738, sleepers 62031 Prairie View, 62006 College View, 62029 Palm View, diner 8510, lounge 28007, coaches 25115, 25032, 25001, 25047, 25029. 1 hr 20 min late at Orlando.

Posts: 17 | From: central Florida | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report. Wonder why the Redcaps seemed to shun you. They are very important for us oldsters.

Thanks for sharing, sounded like it was a great trip despite some problems.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting about eating lounge car food and charging it to your room. I've not heard of this before--can you please explain this a bit more?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, what he was referring to is that since there was not a normally functioning dining car, they made an exception and allowed this pax to eat (purchase) from lounge car at n/c in lieu of eating in substitute dining car. It is something not done on regular basis because of opportunities for abuse of system...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip, Canaveral. But it does seem that you had more than your share of Amtrak mechanical issues - hopefully not a trend.

What are your thoughts on the new Viewliner diner on the LSL? I believe it's the first time someone on this forum has been on the LSL with it as the diner.

Your detailed recording of train consists is admirable. That is a skill that would have been amply rewarded pre-Amtrak.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canaveral
Member # 15138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canaveral         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MDRR is basically correct about a sleeping car passenger charging food out of the lounge car to his/her room. There had to be a legitimate excuse/complaint to do so; in this case, it being quality of the food (I won't describe the so-called "steak" I was served). Years ago on the westbound Sunset out of El Paso and with the time zone change near there, the dining car steward was confused about meal times, saying one thing and doing another, so I ended up with a miserable (to me) 8:30pm dinner seating. I simply forced the issue with the lounge car attendant and told him to charge it to my room and nothing was said.

As for the Viewliner diner, car 8400, I have ridden that several times, mostly when it first appeared years ago and was in the consists of the Silver Meteor and Silver Star. The car presents a very airy, roomy feel with those upper level windows, such that little artificial light is needed during the day. The table sitting also feels more spacious, though I doubt the dimensions differ much from the Heritage diners. The car seems to ride smoother. Food preparation has been fast, with no quirks and good quality, and the crews have been upbeat.

Posts: 17 | From: central Florida | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page