RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Summer 2012 Rail Plans

Author Topic: Summer 2012 Rail Plans
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kicked off my summer train riding yesterday aboard a Norfolk Southern 21st Century Steam excursion from Winston-Salem, VA - Roanoke, VA behind the former Southern Railway 2-8-0 #630, now a resident of the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga.

It was a nice ride covering the 'rare-mileage' N&W 'Punkinvine' line which has not seen scheduled passenger train service since Norfolk & Western's coach only trains 11 & 12 expired in March 1961. The Norfolk Southern folks were out in force to protect we railfans from ourselves keeping those vestibule windows shut and hustling us on our way anytime we tried to linger between cars. Still, it reminded me of what we've been missing since Norfolk Southern, on short notice, pulled the plug on thier earlier steam excursion program in 1994. Huge throngs of railfans with cameras chasing the train and hanging out at every grade crossing and overpass mingling in with crowds waving flags and a steady diet of local folks caught unaware staring as a steam locomotive chuffed unexpectedly through their back yards or church parking lots. Good times indeed.

Coming up this weekend is a quick driving trip to the midwest to sample the state of the Missouri trains and thier stations. I've not been on the ground in Kansas City since 2002 and St. Louis since 2005. As such, I've not seen St. Louis' new station or been in Kansas City Union Station since Amtrak moved back in. I'll correct both of these oversights.

I also hope to throw in a Quincy-Galesburg roundtrip to close out one of my few unridden segments of the existing Amtrak system.... still need to get the Maine route but am waiting for it to be extended before going after it.

July will also bring a family visit to Colorado and New Mexico. We'll catch a couple of the scenic railroads in Canon City and Antonito plus ride the Southwest Chief back from Albuquerque. Hopefully this will not be my last ride over Raton Pass BUT I wouldn't bet much money on this route lasting unchanged until I get to it again.

Ought to be a good time...... let the fun begin.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David -- sounds like you have a summer packed full of great train excursions!! Enjoy!! Give us some trip reports!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a good trip, David.

Yesterday the westbound SWC was an hour late at Winslow. The agent in Flagstaff said NM is now actively working on the track to eliminate the slow orders in the Lamy area which should improve OT performance. The remaining reduced speeds in KS and CO are already accounted for in the current schedules. Still no long term solution. With family onboard for your trip, hope Amtrak turns in a good performance.

Judging by the quantity of BNSF intermodal trains, the economy must be improving!

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David -

I have to make the assumption you have taken the "Great Smoky Mountain Railroad" train out of Bryson City, N. Carolina.

If so, can you recommend it? I wasn't aware of the train excursion until I saw the program, "Trains Around North America". They also had a clip of the train museum in Bryson City...I was really impressed by the Lionel train layout.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard -

Yes. I would recommend a ride on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad.

If you have time for only one trip, the 4.5 hour Nantahala Gorge trip out of Bryson City is the one to go with..... and a visit to the Lionel layout in Bryson City is worth the time too.

Once or twice a year they operate a 'photographers special' from Bryson City all the way to Andrews. This trip includes a ride over Red Marble Gap at Topton, NC which is beyond where the regular Nantahala Gorge train turns back.

Getting a bit personal - as a young man my grandfather worked off and on with various track gangs on this route..... then part of Southern's Murphy Branch. As a young man fresh out of college in the mid-1980's, I lived within earshot of this line between Andrews and Murphy. Freight service that far west by then was down to two trains a week. Departures for Asheville originated Tuesday and Friday mornings out of Murphy and would roll past my apartment at a restricted speed of 10mph around 7:10am as I was getting into the shower. I would finish, dress, leave for work, and overtake the train 20 minutes later about 4 miles away.

As for the GSMRR, they have an interesting and eclectic mix of open excursion cars and also some passenger cars including a diner and club car or two operating in premium service. I feel like their fares are a little high but that may just be a matter of my familiarity with the line and the GSMRR operation as compared to other tourist railroads.

My one complaint regarding GSMRR is that even though they are now owned by the same folks who operate the Durango & Silverton, they have forsaken steam operations here. They have a pair of once nice 2-8-0's in various states of disassembly on the property in Dillsboro sitting outdoors and rusting...... beats the line having been abandoned and turned into a trail however.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Rails, David.
When you go to Quincy, you can take a relatively inexpensive taxi across the river to Hannibal MO of Mark Twain fame, I believe. I've never done it but had looked into it and it was very doable.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
soujourner,I have been to Hannibal andd if yu want the best in touristy go there. We left quickly very disappointed
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page