TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Algoma Central Tour of the Line

Author Topic: Algoma Central Tour of the Line
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a reason to flee to Canada once again as a difficult relative comes to visit my wife, I'm thinking about a two-day trip in early August on the Algoma Central's "Tour of the Line," the train from Sault Ste. Marie to Hearst, Ontario.

Anyone here done that? Pointers?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done the Canyon tour train and am hungry for more..... I'll pack my own meals!

Just wondering whether lodging is available at the north end of the line..... and whether they have internet access!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it. It was a nice trip. Enjoyed it and you will see plenty of things along that line.
I have two stories

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/Trip_Canada.html

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/Trip_RestOfCanada.html

Queen's Motel is just south of where the train stops in Hearst.

There is a Days Inn across the street from the station in the Soo.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TripAdvisor gives 4 of 5 stars to the Howard Johnson's in Hearst, and the HoJo web site says it does have wifi. If I go, I guess that'll be where I'll stay.

Got to find out where to get provisions for the train in both the Soo and Hearst.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry -- let me know how your trip goes! Sault Sainte Marie is not that far from me now, and I have never down the Algoma Central trip.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the trip as far as Agawa Canyon about 10 years ago. What I remember most is how horribly hot it was the day I traveled. You could not walk comfortably around the canyon area in the heat, so everyone retreated back into the train as soon as they could!
I also recall some spectacular river crossings and lovely backcountry lakes & ponds. Equipment was pretty old, as I recall. With the heat, it was a very long day!

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Judy McFarland:
Equipment was pretty old, as I recall. With the heat, it was a very long day!

The Agawa Canyon Train now uses completely rebuilt cars......This is former CN Tempo equipment built in 1968 and in an interesting twist.....has come back full circle back to CN (they own Algoma Central) after operating for VIA and the Colorado Ski Train.

The cars were also jointly operated with Amtrak on the International between Toronto & Chicago.

http://www.agawacanyontourtrain.com/

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

My wife and I did the Lake Superior Circle Tour last month, and rode the Agawa Canyon train as I had done solo in July 2011. Here's the report on the 2011 trip for TrainWeb.org. This time F40 No. 106 had at last changed its livery from Ski Train to Agawa Canyon Tour Train.
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, Great trip...see my Travelog in the TrainWeb Travelogs section. The trip was in 2010 and the equipment was very nice. One diner was a former CB&Q car.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Jack, thanks. I enjoyed that travelogue and it's whetted my eagerness to ride the Tour of the Line.
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great time, Henry. It's a great trip but be prepared with food and beverage.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page