RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amazing!

Author Topic: Amazing!
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope the moderator will forgive me for posting, in Amtrak, what should really be posted in the model railroad section. However, knowing that a lot of forum folks never go to that section, I thought I would post it here.

The "Minitur Wunderland" train exhibit, in Hamburg, is a true wonder. It is sometimes hard to determine the models from the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ACkmg3Y64_s?rel=0

Looks like that couple in the flower bed are having a good time.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy cow. This must be the 2012 equivalent of going to FAO Schwarz in New York the week before Christmas in 1950.

How do they get those trucks and buses to move on the streets without hidden tracks? Magnets under the roadway surfaces?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This place has been on my "bucket list" for a few years now. I "liked" their Facebook page so that I could watch the construction of their airport. It's really amazing! They put a lot of time and engineering into figuring out how to make the aircraft land and take off. When they go into "night mode" it looks even more amazing. I really hope that I get to visit this place someday.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Smitty, for posting the link. I've seen smaller segments before but had no idea how detailed and comprehensive this all is. The airport is especially detailed and realistic.

Henry--

I think you can see small slots that the cars and trucks follow -- much as the aircraft do.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!!!!!! Very vey VERY impressive!!!!!! I wish I could created something 1/100 as well built and detailed as that! Unfortunately, though, my model railroading days are over -- it just became too frustrating for me to continue what I had hoped would be a well-thought out detailed layout a few years ago.

I'll have to visit Hamburg some day!! Thanks for posting that, Yukon!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apologies, Yukon. The thanks go to you for the post!

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pleasure, Frank.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's where I've landed in modeling - a basement On30 scale layout based loosely on the old East Tennessee and Western North Carolina narrow gauge circa 1950.

It's a plaything which serious modelers would scoff at but I do enjoy tinkering.

Briefly - On30 is a Bachmann creation where trains just smaller than Lionel models operate on HO gauge track. The intent was to have something under the Christmas tree that would match those popular winter village buildings.

Use these trains with O gauge structures and you've got a blue collar, off-the-shelf method of modeling narrow gauge at a fraction of the cost..... though the realists will remind you that you're replicating a scale 2 ft, 6 inch gauge and not 3 ft this way.

Again - this is a plaything for me.

Why, by-the-way, the ET&WNC? Well - regional interest for sure but there is more.

By 1950 the ET&WNC narrow gauge was a 34-mile mountain railroad with only two operable locomotives on the property.

Bachmann has available models of both #11 and #12..... the last two ET&WNC steamers. There were not a lot of pieces of rolling stock still on hand. It doesn't matter that my track is wobbly in places and that the trains can't zip along like the Super Chief because the prototype wobbled and had not seen new ballast for quite some time.

See if this works here - it's a link to my Facebook album of model train photos...... again folks, be kind. I'm barely competent at this!

Trains in my basement

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son brought back a 3 hour DVD from Hamburg on one of his business trips - it pays watching many times because there is so much detail to observe.
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, couldn't get the link to work. Interesting idea though, and the Tweetsie is certainly a great one to model.

When are you taking your western trip - we're about to embark on one.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, that looks to be about a '57 Chevy Nomad at your station. Great job! As a kid I had the Lionel O Gauge Super Chief, Wabash Bluebird, a Pennsylvania steam engine (smoke pellets) and a Milwaukee switch engine (the most common engine in our hometown of south Minneapolis).
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
David, that looks to be about a '57 Chevy Nomad at your station. Great job! As a kid I had the Lionel O Gauge Super Chief, Wabash Bluebird, a Pennsylvania steam engine (smoke pellets) and a Milwaukee switch engine (the most common engine in our hometown of south Minneapolis).

Yes - TwinStar...... I believe so..... and I'm taking liberties with the timeline here. (It's my toy.... I'll do what I like!) The ET&WNC narrow gauge was already just a memory by the time the Chevy Nomad or the Greyhound Scenicruiser bus at the other station burst onto the scene....... but the models were just too attractive to pass on despite that.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page