RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Change in Hiawatha ticket policy?

Author Topic: Change in Hiawatha ticket policy?
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hiawatha between Milwaukee & Chicago is an unreserved train, and I have always been able to use any Hiawatha ticket on any of the trains (in the correct direction, of course). When I bought my latest ticket, I was told that if I did not take the train I had a ticket for, I would have to exchange the ticket. This could be an issue, if arriving in Chicago on the LSL early enough to make the 10 AM run, but Amtrack will not sell you that combination since it is less than an hour from the scheduled arrival of the LSL. So I wonder if that means if the LSL arrives at 9:30 I will have to wait until 1 PM for the next train to Mikwaukee. What a pain in the patoot! If the train is not reserved, why do they suddenly care which one I take?

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is an unreserved train like our Pacific Surfliners are your ticket is good on any train on that route.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like Amtrak will require that you exchange your ticket in order to take the earlier train. That would make sense. It would be needed in order to assure that a seat is available. Imagine not having a seat available on the earlier train you were ticketed for beause passengers ticketed for a later train arrived early enough to board your train.
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page