RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hiawatha question

Author Topic: Hiawatha question
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone used the Hiawatha Service between Milwaukee and Chicago? I have a trip planned that includes leaving Milwaukee and connecting with the Cardinal in Chicago. The last train (#340) out of MKE leaves at 5:45p and arrives in CHI at 7:14p. The Cardinal leaves CHI at 7:55p.

How is the on-time record for the Hiawatha trains and will this be enough time to make the connection?

If not, I'll have to take the 3pm (#338) Hiawatha to CHI which arrives at 4:29p.

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not used the Hiawatha service trains, but I would guess they run pretty close to schedule, since the distance between Milwaukee and Chicago is not very large, and the trains share the same tracks which the Chicago area Metra commuter service uses, and Metra trains consistently run pretty close to schedule
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used it a number of times, the only delay I had was 3 minutes due to heavy Metra traffic in the morning, other than that it's GRRRREAT! Although there is no snack car, they have plenty of drinks and food on board.

This prompted me to write a letter to the State of Wisconsin, in thanks for funding this run. Also I suggested that they should extend to Green Bay and at least serve Madison.

~Chris

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have used hiawatha trains many times. they run about 97% on time. you have a fairly close connection. so to me its not worth the risk. besides chicago union station is a good place to kill a few hours.
Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the statistics that I've seen, the Hiawathas are top-performers time-wise. 95-99% on time each month consistently, due to the relatively short run. (86 miles) I THINK you should be able to make your connection, but do you want to risk it? I've played connection roulette a few times, and have gotten lucky so far and not missed a train. And I agree with the guy who suggested taking an earlier train if it works with your schedule. If you can't leave until after work, for instance and want to take the later Hiawatha, go for it, but if you have the luxury of extra time that day, go early and hang out in Chicago for a few hours!

Also, there's also the possibility that the Cardinal itself may be running late as far as boarding goes. This increases your connection buffer.

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've completed my trip and found the Hiawatha Service to be very prompt. Having said that, I did manage to catch the early (3pm) train back from MKE to CHI so I did have some time to run an errand in Chicago before the Cardinal departed (on time.)

I caught the 333 to MKE (dep 10:20a) because the Three Rivers was an hour late which blew the connection to 331 which leaves at 8:25a. This didn't leave a whole lot of time in MKE but enough for what I needed. Train 338 back to CHI was on time as well (3:00p-4:29p) so I had time to catch a bus (#151) and get some shopping done, even at rush hour.

There is no cafe car on the Hiawathas, but there is a snack cart they push down the isle so you can buy drinks and snacks on the train.

I'll send in my trip report (ATL-PHL-PGH-CHI-MKE-CHI-CVS-ATL) when I finish.

Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page