RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Irvine Flyaway dies.

Author Topic: Irvine Flyaway dies.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

Today I came into LAX from Nashville (BNA) and was surprised to see a number of signs on the ground at the usual Flayaway pickup point at Terminal One saying that as of midnight on 31 August service would end.

The signs were poorly worded and confusing and they should have been removed or replaced with accurate signage.

Here is a link to what is really happening:

http://www.lawa.org/newsContent.aspx?ID=1648

Apparently the Irvine Flyaway is the only service affected. All the other routes continue to operate and there appear to be new busses being used, at least for Union Station and Van Nuys.

I was catching the SB Airbus so was not affected.

Frank in dark and cooling SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. I wonder why? I thought all routes were patronized fairly well. I guess not?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“Irvine Flyaway dies”

I though the group was being advised of some local railfan’s passing!

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So did I! That's funny----I saw the name, and I thought to myself, "What an odd last name". Then it clicked. [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My condolences go out to Irvine's family and friends. May he rest in peace.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL. I'm glad I brought a laugh or two to the boards!

I guess the Irvine route was not very well patronized. The press release gives the exact numbers.

The other members of the Flyaway family appear to be alive and well.

Frank in sunny and soon to be warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cost killed it.$25 for a one way trip verses $7 for LAUPT. which would you have done,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Chris--

How much is the Amtrak or Metrolink fare from Irvine to LAUPT? You'd need to factor that into the mix.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak with Triple AAA is $13.25 Metrolink is $ 8:75 weekdays or using a $10 weekend
pass. Plus it runs every thirty minutes to LAUPT vs weird schedule to Irvine.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page