TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Breakfast on Capitol Ltd

Author Topic: Breakfast on Capitol Ltd
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm boarding the Capitol Ltd in Waterloo, IN later this week, en-route to Chicago. Does anybody know if the diner will still be open for breakfast? I know they used to close early if the train was terminating in the morning. For reference it leaves at 06:36 EDT and arrives 08:45 CDT. At least I hope it arrives within 3 hours of the latter otherwise I'll have a problem.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff, sorry I cannot answer your question but I had to take this opportunity to recall my trips on the Capital Limited in the 1960's. I had business in DC and was living in Chicago so I chose to ride the overnight Capital. I remember breakfast between Cumberland and Hagerstown on the blue Centenary pattern china, a B & O icon. The food and service were wonderful for all three meals which I enjoyed several times. Mr. Norman can likely endorse these memories.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be inclined to have a little something in pocket to tide me over in case they did not and take a chance. At worst, if the train is more or less on time, you will be having breakfast something like about 9:00. If the train is late, then you better take the time "wasted" as an opportunity to get the breakfast that probably won't be served on the train.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I'm hoping the snack car will be open and reasonably stocked as a back up plan. I'm a cereal and milk type of man, nothing fancy, but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity for some French toast and sausage patties in the diner if they're available.

As for lateness, if the train is already significantly late by the time I wake up then my back up plan is a flight instead (Fort Wayne has a few departures to Chicago in the morning). However, if the delay is 3+ hours en-route after Waterloo then it's a bit more of a problem. I'm well aware I'm going against the normal advice of this forum!

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dining Car...last call at Elkhart, Closed at South Bend. Lounge Car, last call SB, Closed at HMI.
Enjoy your Bkfast in the diner.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

MDRR, thanks.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

On time at Waterloo, after the ticket check I headed straight for the diner where I had a huge breakfast of scrambled egg (which looked more like a folded omelette but I guess it's the same thing), potato, raisin bread, sausage patties, tea, and juice. So big I couldn't finish it. Not bad for $7 and the table company were pleasant. The servers had brusque, rapidfire temperaments though.

Nice to have 110v sockets in the lounge car (at the tables). Interestingly, in reference to another thread about people wanting to travel facing forwards, there were a fair smattering of people choosing to face backwards when sitting at an empty table. Plenty facing forward too, of course.

Twenty minutes early into Chicago, straight in without backing up or stopping.

Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having just finished my Frosties (other breakfast cereals are available) I am very jealous of your feast. Can't wait for next year when (health permitting) I hope I will be there to try out a Great Amtrak Breakfast too!
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page