RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak's Lamb Shanks Make the Big Time!

Author Topic: Amtrak's Lamb Shanks Make the Big Time!
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had heard so much awful talk about the infamous chicken-fried steak that I have always steered clear of the "daily special". However, on my May circle trip via the Texas Eagle, Capitol Limited, NE Regional, Crescent, and Sunset Limited the daily special was the lamb shanks. I had the steak the first two nights on board, but once aboard the Crescent for the homeward leg I gave in to curiosity and ordered the lamb shanks; I've long been fond of lamb. They were delicious—fall-off-the-bone tender, seasoned just right, and the sauce that went with them was excellent.

Apparently someone else thinks so as well; a passenger wrote to the "Culinary SOS" column of the Los Angeles Times requesting the recipe, and Amtrak responded. It's not the exact recipe, which calls for sous-vide cooking in a pouch at 160 degrees for 20 hours, but it is closely akin to it as modified for home preparation.

Somewhere, a generation of dining car chefs are applauding.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get something VERY similar at Costco. Chef Pierre Lamb Shanks. Cooked sous-vide and then frozen. I'd almost swear that's what Amtrak is serving. They ARE very good but you have to like lamb.

Frank in dark and still warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
You can get something VERY similar at Costco. Chef Pierre Lamb Shanks. Cooked sous-vide and then frozen. I'd almost swear that's what Amtrak is serving. They ARE very good but you have to like lamb.

Frank in dark and still warm SBA

We might be going there later so I'll have a look out for those - thanks for the heads up! But when you say "you have to like lamb", are they the really smelly, farmyard smell of lamb? My wife doesn't like the strong smell but will eat lamb without the smell, if you see what I mean!

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lamb has a softer texture than beef, chicken, or turkey. The taste is more in the sauce than lamb, so the seasoning is key to a very tasty meal.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff--

I think they have a pretty strong taste -- both of lamb and the sauce. I know at least one major airline that used them for years "up front".

Chef Pierre also makes a pretty good frozen cheeseburger (also available at Costco and served on at least one major airline!) and they used to have a wonderful apple pie but I haven't seen that in quite awhile.

Frank in sunny but much cooler SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not exactly related, but reminded me of one of my favorite lines in a movie - in this case, 'My Big Fat Greek Weding". The bride-to-be is introducing her fiance to her aunt, and says he's a vegetarian. After a moments' perplexed hesitation, the aunt replies, "no problem, I cook lamb!"
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page