RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » San Antonio trip

Author Topic: San Antonio trip
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomorrow I'm going to take a San Joaquin to LA, then board the Sunset Lmitied to San Antonio for a conference. Going go a bit earlier than necessary just to be careful (712), and go get some mu shu pork for dinner, then some pie at Pilippe's for desert. This'll be my first time on the Sunset Limited, so I'm feeling a bit excited. I'll write report when I can.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
San Antonio must sees = Alamo, River Walk, Old Missions.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip - can't wait to hear about it.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mike, I'll be staying by the River walk, so that and Alamo right there. I'll check out the Old Missions as well, if close enough.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look to the south (right hand) side of the train as you approach El Paso, TX for views of the Mexican border just yards from the track.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the views of Mexico from the train are "interesting". I was shocked the first time I saw it. They build shacks, tents, and anything else right along the land up to the river. It's all right there in plain view.

Enjoy your trip! I'm due for another and have enough AGR points to travel in a roomette in two zones. I just need to find the time to do it!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a pleasant trip- the Sunset is generally an easygoing ride, with personnel that CHOOSE to work that route (that is, if they have enough seniority!) I know many of the "sleeper" men were some of the best TA's we had, during my own regular assignments on that train.

My only comment on the colorful city of San Antonio is I had the best (truly) Mexican food in my life there, in a small dive along the Riverwalk at about 1:30 AM one hot summer night.. Cannot remember the name of the joint- other than it was "famous" and open 24 hours; that should be enough to ID the place. Located right in your hotel district; ie. the downtown Riverwalk locale.

The food was so sublime, I felt like I was the DosEquis "most interesting man in the world" -
never had food like it, before or since. Some kind of TexMex magic there, for sure...

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thanks to Mike Smith and RR4me. I have been trying to think of an overnight trip that would not break the bank. You folks inspired me to take a look at San Antonio. I did so and have booked a round trip on the Texas Eagle, sleeper class. I managed a really good fare. Just by changing the date of departure by one day I saved about $200. The rooms were bucket price. The Alamo, River Walk, Fredericksburg wine country, are all on my agenda. We will be there about 5 days. Any other suggestions as to fun and interesting things to do and/or see?
Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are welcome, Iron Mountain. Enjoy the trip through the Hill Country of Texas, on your way to Fredericksburg.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page