TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief: last breakfast

Author Topic: Southwest Chief: last breakfast
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A similar question to one I asked a few weeks ago for a different train: until what time is the diner open for breakfast on the Southwest Chief into Los Angeles - assuming they do actually serve breakfast on that final morning? It arrives at LAX at 08:15.

If I travel on it, I'll be buying a ticket just a few hours before travel, just in case it's horrendously late. Will the conductor know about late ticket purchases, rather than skipping the local station stop thinking there's nobody to board/disembark (as I've experienced while on other Amtrak trains)?

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they usually do one seating, very early, like 5 am, and you need to be there about then or youll miss out. Jim
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last January, I made a reservation in the morning for #4 leaving Albuquerque that noon, and printed my ticket at the station. The conductor and my sleeper attendant were surprised to see me.

I don't believe Amtrak ever skips a scheduled stop that is not a flag stop, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could get tricky if you're boarding at a station with no agent. Be sure you're trackside when the train pulls in and yell when (if) you see inboard personnel look out, especially if the train is running late. I once bought a sleeper ticket on the Empire Builder in Mikwaukee and one of the station personnel went to the train and pounded on the sleeper door to get the attendant to open up for me as I bought the ticket about 20 minutes before departure.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely make sure you are on the platform with your baggage before the train pulls in. That way, the engineer will see you and can tell the conductor over the radio, "We've got one!". You will NOT be on their manifest and they will NOT know about you.

Breakfast on the last day begin somewhere around 0500-0530. I forget the exact time. It is an "abbreviated service" where all menu items are not available. They serve fast, so be sure to be there when they open.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Diner opens at 5:00 AM and stays open until normally Riverside as a last call right before there. If the train is run ning late they sometimes start at 6:00 AM and close at 7:30 AM.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately it would seem that the trip is now off, and I have the joys of I-15 and I-210 instead. At least it's not a 4am awakening!

But it will be useful for the future no doubt. Victorville is a small, single platform (a double spot if sleeper and coach passengers need to disembark or board) with some lighting and nowhere to hide (or shelter for that matter) - but the speed through there is easily 40mph+.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it was nine years ago and therefore this is probably out of date when I took the SWC breakfast was at 5.00am. It was a limited menu and served on paper plates with plastic crockery and cups so the tables could be cleared straight into a rubbish bag!
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

I would have been on it at 4:18 - far too early for my liking but beggars can't be choosers. I even toyed with the idea of heading east before switching trains and going back again but it would have been nearly 4 hours on the platform in Barstow (11pm - 3am) or 20 minutes at Needles, which is far too short should anything go wrong.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page