RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Austin, TX - Rental Car ?

Author Topic: Austin, TX - Rental Car ?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone familiar with car rental agencies in Austin?

Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone has rented a car at the Austin airport but dropped the car off at a downtown location (or even the Amtrak station) on a Sunday morning.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help specifically but what I would say is, if you find somewhere, give them a call direct - to the actual location, not some call center somewhere. They can tell you straight from the horse's mouth what you need to know.

(Having experienced a rental car drop off that stated a location that did not even exist - New Orleans Amtrak/Greyhound)

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will do -

Just toying with an idea for February.....

May not even do Texas at all. Denver is appealing also..... and more transit friendly.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we could meet. Come on a friday night and attend a poetry reading with me.
At least a coffee..

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ira Slotkin:
And we could meet. Come on a friday night and attend a poetry reading with me.
At least a coffee..

Ira

Another temptation for sure Ira!

Do you know whether the Saturday morning walking tours of the Union Station area re-development continue during the winter months? That's an itch that I'd like to scratch as well.

--------------------
David Pressley

Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. However the area looks pretty well gated off to me. There's a lot of construction - on both sides and in back. I'll look more closely when next I am downtown - which will be tomorrow afternoon.

I

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I know we have wandered a long way from Austin but talking Denver a bit more, Ira - are you familiar with the 'Denver Infill Blog'? It has been a pretty decent source for those of us geographically challenged folks to keep up with things going on in Denver in general and the Union Station re-development in particular.

Here's the link -

Denver Updates

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page