RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Funding. 24 days to go

Author Topic: Amtrak Funding. 24 days to go
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case we all forgot, Time is running out now for Congress and President George W. Bush to up with Amtrak funding for next year.

Amtrak wants $1.2 billion, and Bush wants $512 million, now who will win? Oct 1 is the Deadline.

Now I fear the Damage the Acela Express has now done to the Airlines, coupled with horrible finacial condition of the Airlines will again force Congress to starve Amtrak.

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GG-1
Member # 1915

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for GG-1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's about time that the US government gots rid of it's double standard when it comes to funding transportation. Just imagine what Amtrak could do if it got the same level of funding the the so called "private" airlines get!

Posts: 11 | From: Pittsburgh,PA,USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG-1, Very well said !
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG, I know the feds put a lot into airports and aviation sytems. Don't local governments also put a fair amount of money into their own airports as well (such as from the sale of tax free municipal bonds)? I'm wondering if more local governments might also support local train stations in a similar manner. I do know some Amtrak stations, especially in smaller towns, are city owned.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GG-1
Member # 1915

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for GG-1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, local governments do indeed pump money into their local airports. One example is the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey which operate the three major airports in NYC. This organization is publicaly funded. I believe that the rail industry (yes...both passenger AND freight) is a very important investment because not only does it take cars off the road, but as a result of this, also decreases polution. The incentives for local governments to fund local rail projects is great but many do not contribute much. There are exceptions of course (like NYC's funding of the Grand Central Station renivation) but I think that investment in railroads should be the rule rather then the exception.
Posts: 11 | From: Pittsburgh,PA,USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Amtrak is rapidly approaching another funding gap....
I can't "read" the mood of Congress on this particular topic. Are any of the upcoming Senate races likely to affect this (i.e are any strong Amtrak opponents or supporters at risk of losing their senate seats)?

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page