TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Bashing the airlines this time

Author Topic: Bashing the airlines this time
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Frommer's columnist who bashed the cruise lines takes on the airlines.

Of course we don't know any rail travelers who behave that way, do we now?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No we don't, Henry, since we EXPECT delays and other problems with rail travel.

What Mr. Elliott points out is actually a contradiction to ordinary. 90% of the time, passengers seem to have no concerns or problems whatsoever if a flight is cancelled or delayed - no, "s**t happens," so no big deal!. Yet if an AMTRAK train is as little as one hour late, oh boy, we sure do hear complaints THEN, don't we?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've bashed the airlines and the cruises
Til both ended up repl;ete with bruises;
we've written of gaffs with no appeases,
anyone had Legionaires Diseases?

And all the while Frank (SBA)
Is sailing and eating the days away;
I'm here at home with laundry and chores
Washing dishes and mopping floors

Would that in first class cabin or flight
I was able to alight
Upon the train or plane or ship,
T'would mean that I was son a trip.

Ira
Singing Wabash Cannonball and channeling Roy Acuff.

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ira, as usual, you've had the last word.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ira--

Thanks for the mention. I think.

All--

I haven't had a good look at either the airline or cruise article but I can tell you that our flight LAX-LHR (We got seats in United BusinessFirst) and MCO-LAX (Paid upgrade to United First) were very good. LAX-SBA on United Express operated by Skywest was another story. We arrived late enough that the terminal here was closed.

Both of our cruises on Celebrity Constellation were very good. The ports were interesting, the food and service were outstanding and we had only one rough patch on an otherwise smooth sailing.

I had occasion to visit the ship's Medical Center for an infection on my right knee. Excellent care from an Indian doctor from South Africa. Two visits and minor surgery cost $357 which my travel insurance will pay for.

The two cruises prior to our first one had serious outbreaks of Norovirus (300+ cases) so "Precautions" were in effect. They worked. No cases on our first or second cruise. Things returned to normal by the third day of the second cruise.

More later.

Frank in blustery SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page