Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Guns on Amtrak

Author Topic: Guns on Amtrak
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the events yesterday in Newtown, Conn., and the ensuing discussions on the Internet, it seems like a good time for this reminder.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've assumed 20% of everyone on board the train is packing. I'm OK with that.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is sort of a bizarre question/observation....but what about folks like me who have CCW authorization in all 50 states? I can go anywhere except onto an airplane with a loaded/concealed weapon (in that case, it has to be checked as baggage). But since there is no TSA-style of weapons screening on Amtrak, would I be within their policy if I was carrying? I'm going to assume yes and that it's okay, but it's an interesting thing to ponder.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smitty, I cannot offer a firm reply with citations, but I'm certain I read somewhere that Amtrak permits active-duty LEOs to carry their weapons on their persons aboard trains IF the LEO "is on official business." Whether "official business" includes "in transit," I don't know.

I've often read that conductors interpret the rule the way they personally see it. Isn't this familiar?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

We usually pack a bottle or two of wine. Does that count?
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about marijuana? WA and CO now allow adults (21+) to legally possess up to one ounce of marijuana for private, personal use. How would Amtrak or Amtrak police react if an adult train passenger in WA or CO is found with less than one ounce of pot in their possession?
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pistols, pot, or other "possessions" = don't ask, don't tell.

I always have a Buck 119 with me, and yes, it is extremely sharp. A slight tap on your forearm and I'm hitting bone.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

We usually pack a bottle or two of wine. Does that count?
Just do not use your gun after you have consumed one of those bottles (or more). [Smile]
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pack wine too but it is for my destination. I must confess that I do have a flask filled with Knob Creek that I enjoy using to freshen my soda from the cafe car. That might not be legal.

Some years ago I was traveling from KCY to KWD and was thinking about going back in the fall. My son and I, who resided in KC at the time, were planning a pheasant hunting trip in northwest Missouri, and I was considering traveling to KC by train then by car ith him to the hunting land. I asked the conductor if I could bring a shotgun on the train. He said that it wasn't a problem, just let him know so he could put it in his office. I wonder if all trains are that casual about bringing firearms on to the train? Probably not.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
I have carried a loaded pistol with me on numerous occasions. No one asked me about it and I never told anyone about it.
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find some of these comments unbelievable - all I've ever carried onboard is a flask of coffee and a packet of sandwiches. Why on earth would you need to carry a gun onboard a train (or, frankly, anywhere)?
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RIGHT ON, Stephen!!!!................
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Amen.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because some of us are trained in the proper use of weapons, and our occupations required us to carry a gun our entire adult lives---that's why. You might be surprised how often we run into someone that we arrested, gave a ticket to, etc. Sometimes, those people aren't happy to see us again, so being armed is a wise thing. Many of us also feel an obligation to help when the situation arises, and that is why Congress recently enacted legislation (HR 218) to allow us to carry/concealed in all 50 states, as long as we comply with the approval/qualification process.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Stephen, RRRich, & Henry... 65 MILLION people, allegedly living in the USA, voted for obama.
That should scare any normal person!

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen W:
Why on earth would you need to carry a gun onboard a train (or, frankly, anywhere)?

How about just to get it from point A to point B? How about it is nobody else's business what I cary as long as it is not harmful or offensive?
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
A friend of mine wanted to take me to his favorite gun range in southern Arizona and he wanted to try out my P-30. I train tripped there and back.
Did that answer your question, Stephen?

OH and in case you did not know, Al Qaida has declared war on the USA. I live in the USA. I need to be prepared, in case the fools want to attack the area of the USA that I am occupying.

Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We in Britain have threats by terrorists of a number of different persuasions too and quite a number of our citizens have been killed by extremists. However, we just get on with life (unarmed) and have the fullest confidence in our intelligence and police communities to deal with potential dangers. I have never feared for my life on any train journey I have made in either the UK or abroad and don't intend to start now!

George: I would be interested to learn how a gun is not "harmful".

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm moving this topic to the "Open Discussion" board. Gut feeling, that's all.
Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page