RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » q about Sunset Ltd/TX Eagle sleepers westbound

Author Topic: q about Sunset Ltd/TX Eagle sleepers westbound
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you leave New Orleans for, say, Little Rock, how do the sleepers work? When do you get off the SL and board the TX Eagle. Does it pay to get a sleeper on both, or are you up most of the night anyway? Thanks!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting. The westbound Sunset Limited from New Orleans arrives in San Antonio at 12:05 a.m. The eastbound Texas Eagle/SL arrives in San Antonio at 4:05 a.m. The eastbound Eagle doesn't leave San Antonio until 7 a.m.

Why don't you call Amtrak and ask how they handle that layover for NOL-Little Rock passengers? Possibly you'll be allowed to board the eastbound Eagle sleeper when it gets in.

I'd take the sleeper both legs. With all that oh-dark-thirty stuff, you'd probably want to sleep all morning after leaving San Antonio.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be interested to know what Amtrak tells you about boarding the TE sleeper early. Since part of the train originates there, it should be possible, but I bet it's not open until sometime after the arrival of the EB Sunset. If not, that midnight to 4 am or 7am wait in a train station sounds pretty grim.

I believe I would be tempted to grab a motel room. Hotels.com shows a Staybridge Suite across the street from the train station. I have no idea if it's habitable but might be a possibility instead of (or in addition to) a roomette on the TE.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, this is an interesting question. I'm going to assume that there might be a fly in the ointment here, and it has nothing to do with whether or not they allow you to board early or not:

What if "your" room on the sleeper is occupied by another passenger who is only going so far as San Antonio? Aren't they allowed to remain on-board and sleep? If that's the case, then it wouldn't matter because your room would be occupied.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,
What happens if you went at it the other way through Chicago and south on the TE. I haven't looked at the schedules, but does that work any better?
TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
possibly you could consider traveling West on #1 to, say, El Paso and there board 422 (two hour "safety zone", could bail out at Alpine

Just make sure the conductor of your train knows any intention to bail out at Alpine, and the eastbound is similarly informed - last couple of times I've been on the Sunset or Eagle, it's flown through Alpine without stopping!

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
quote:
possibly you could consider traveling West on #1 to, say, El Paso and there board 422 (two hour "safety zone", could bail out at Alpine

Just make sure the conductor of your train knows any intention to bail out at Alpine, and the eastbound is similarly informed - last couple of times I've been on the Sunset or Eagle, it's flown through Alpine without stopping!
Are you sure about that, Geoff? To my knowledge the operating crews still change at ALP- and I think they still give the Sunset passengers a "smoke break" at the Alpine platform, which has been upgraded a while back.

Now if you were thinking SND (Sanderson, TX) it's possible that the train could whistle through there w/o a stop- if no one entrains/detrains.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
If you leave New Orleans for, say, Little Rock, how do the sleepers work? When do you get off the SL and board the TX Eagle. Does it pay to get a sleeper on both, or are you up most of the night anyway? Thanks!

If you abjective really is New Orleans to Little Rock instead of train miles, I would be thinking of take the CNO to Memphis, get a room there - GO BY TAXI to it, and take the dog in the morning for the 132 miles remaining.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Railroad Bob:
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
quote:

Are you sure about that, Geoff? To my knowledge the operating crews still change at ALP- and I think they still give the Sunset passengers a "smoke break" at the Alpine platform, which has been upgraded a while back.

Now if you were thinking SND (Sanderson, TX) it's possible that the train could whistle through there w/o a stop- if no one entrains/detrains.

I was pretty sure it was Alpine but the evidence does indeed point to Sanderson - apologies. Twas a few years ago that I last rode the Sunset/Eagle - in fact it must be 8 years ago!

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never ridden the Sunset without it stopping at both Alpine and Sanderson. I haven't seen the new (January) timetable yet, but, as far as I know, Sanderson was NEVER listed as a flag stop only. I do know that Alpine is indeed a crew change point.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Sanderson is currently a flag stop - and looking back at a 2004 timetable, it was then too. http://www.timetables.org/full.php?group=20040426&item=0095 for example. [Edit] Looking back further, at some point it did become a flag stop - maybe early 2000s?

I remembered the occasion, if not the location, as the conductor and engineer were having a discussion over the radio - the conductor was next to me - and they asked another person over the radio if anybody was waiting. There wasn't and they decided to blast through at speed. We were probably late and wanting to make up time.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad we got that all cleared up per ALP and SND.
The whole area is kind of a mysterious and lonely place...and not far from Marfa where you can sometimes see the "ghost lights." The thread is "creeping" a bit now, as sometimes will happen with RailForum posts, so "let's blast through at speed."

Great terminology, Geoff!

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Good point RE thread creep, Bob. Just need sojourner to come back and fill us in on the details!

--------------------
Geoff M.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff -- I just reread the timetable, and you are right -- Sanderson is indeed labeled as a "flag stop."

Has anyone ever seen the Marfa Lights from the eastbound (or a 12-hr late westbound) Sunset Ltd?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Geoff -- I just reread the timetable, and you are right -- Sanderson is indeed labeled as a "flag stop."

Has anyone ever seen the Marfa Lights from the eastbound (or a 12-hr late westbound) Sunset Ltd?

Ohh yeah..many times personally on Number Two. An ancient SP conductor, born and raised "out there" in the wind-whistling wastes of West Texas showed me EXACTLY how to see them. We would go down into the vestibule of the old Santa Fe hilevel, throw open the top half of the door at the proper place and most times, there the Marfa Lights would be. I'd say they were 'there' about 65% of the time, and could occur in any season/weather. Bitterly cold nights or high summer- no difference.

Difficult to describe, weird as heck-- amorphous globes of pale pastel lights would oscillate about a certain mountain face which was about 30 min. east of Marfa by Sunset Ltd at track speed. I believe that county has actually set up a parking spot for the locals to hang out to watch the ML's, but not sure on that point. There are stories of small aircraft that flew in there to "get a better look" and never returned. Kind of a Bermuda Triangle in West TX?

Sorry sojourner- now back to you and your sleeper thread!

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
RR Bob -- yes indeed there is a Marfa Lights viewing area on U.S. 90, approximately 10 miles east of Marfa -- The viewing area is plainly visible from the SL and marked with a highway sign. I haven't published my detailed descriptive log of this route yet, and if I knew how, I'd attach my topo map to this thread showing the viewing area. The abandoned D.A. Russell Airfield is located just south of the viewing area (approximately 200 miles E of El Paso).
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google Maps has photos. Just search for "Marfa Lights Viewing Center". There is even a train
in one.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page