RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rio Grande Scenic Story

Author Topic: Rio Grande Scenic Story
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who are interested: My latest article has been published on the main page of TrainWeb.com. This one takes readers along for a ride on the magnificent Rio Grande Scenic Railroad between Alamosa, CO and LaVeta, CO. It is a beautiful trip and is enhanced by riding in the restored ex-Illinois Central observation car "Mardi Gras" on a train pulled by a steam engine. I hope you will take a look.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverStar092:
For those who are interested: My latest article has been published on the main page of TrainWeb.com. This one takes readers along for a ride on the magnificent Rio Grande Scenic Railroad between Alamosa, CO and LaVeta, CO. It is a beautiful trip and is enhanced by riding in the restored ex-Illinois Central observation car "Mardi Gras" on a train pulled by a steam engine. I hope you will take a look.

I've ridden this trip twice now..... albeit in the dome car (which I believe now operates only on the train which originates in LaVeta). Riding upthe mountain westbound out of LaVeta behind a steam locomotive is one of the more incredible railfan experiences in this day and age....... also kind of a 'little-known' secret. I'm surprised by how little attention this operation gets as compared to some others even within Colorado.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So true, David. This line gets little attention though it was as good as any I have ridden. Great scenery, steam, and a great variety of equipment. They said the dome would operate out of LaVeta the day we rode but it was not on that train perhaps due to the publicity shoot they were doing at he depot that weekend. The LaVeta train had a couple double decker coaches (likely ex-Long Island) and some other nice cars including its own observation car. I highly recommend this trip to anyone who likes trains and/or mountain scenery.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good story, Silver Star. Did you get a look in the PRJ shops? Somehow Iowa Pacific knows how to run a good looking passenger train on a relative shoestring.

On our trip on RGS (not the narrow gauge version!), they were just getting going. An old coach had been converted to a lounge/parlor/open platform observation. Standing out back with that beautiful scenery, hearing the whistle of the engine, and a cold drink in hand is about as good as it gets. My wife thought the little town of LaVeta was great. We had an excellent lunch there and then again and on a return auto trip.

I'd like to return and try the 'through' route to Chama. On our visit the connection offered to Antonito was on a high rail van!

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll add that in Alamosa I really like the Comfort Inn on the west side of town...... relatively new, still very tidy, and a good breakfast to boot! I've stayed there on three separate trips to that part of Colorado now!

On my last visit to the Rio Grande Scenic I rode the trip originating in Alamosa. The Lookout Mountain was on the west end of the train so I hung out there for the climb up to Fir, returned to my seat in the dome for the ride down to LaVeta and then on the return over the mountain. Finally, once we got to the flat track west of Ft. Garland I moved downstairs and finished out the trip in the rear of the Calumet Club which was on the east end of the train....... three unique riding perspectives and all of them pretty good.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Thanks for the replies. In response to Palmland: Yes, we did get a personalized tour of the RGS shops. Several Pullman Rail Journeys cars were under restoration including two full domes (1 ex-ATSF, the other ex-GN), sleeper "Tallahassee" which now is the "Baton Rouge", a couple ex-SP sleepers, and ex-IC observation car "Paducah". Watch for my report in Part 5 to be featured on TrainWeb soon (I'll advise when). It's interesting they ran a hi-railer for the Antonito connection. Ours was a one-car train and we were lucky they waited for us after our bus return from Chama as the crew was confused though looking for us. I had told them we would be back on the bus as it arrives an hour after the train from Chama since round trips on the C&T usually involve a transfer to the return train at Osier. Advise: tell the crew clearly what your intentions are, tell the RGS reservation office, and tell the C&T agent in Chama. I think the latter was the only one who paid attention to our plans.
NotElvis: Interesting how you worked your trip. None of the trains used the dome on the day we traveled. We enjoyed the "Mardi Gras" (which was on the rear eastbound) from Alamosa to LaVeta as it offered great views and nice conversation. We did take time out for lunch in the dining car. On the return we hung out in the "Lookout Mountain" until LaVeta to enjoy the rear view since it wa son the back westbound. We then moved back to "Mardi Gras" whcih wa snice since we got to enjoy an impromptu concert.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page