RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Who's familiar with Savannah, Ga.

Author Topic: Who's familiar with Savannah, Ga.
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife is retiring in a week and has always wanted to visit Savannah. Looking at the second week in April. Did a Google maps of the Amtrak station and it looks like it's a bit away from the main attractions. We plan on doing a lot of walking to visit historic and botanical sights so a hotel in a central location would be nice.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several downtown hotels including Hyatt, Marriott, and I believe Courtyard Marriott among others. Anything along the riverfront or a block off the river would be perfect for walking. Be sure not to stay out by I-95 or south along Albercorn Ave as those are far from the historic area. Yes, the train station is a few miles from the desired area.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SilverStar092,
Thanks for the tips. Made reservations at the Hilton Garden Inn. Looks to be right where we want to be.

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stayed at the Days Hotel at Ellis Square it is a restored building older building, easy access to everything in Savannah its less expensive and less crowded then those on River Street, Old World look but modern inside I think you'd love it. Visit the old History Museum located in a former Georgia Central Station. Splurge and take the Misses for a dinner at "The Pink House." alot of historical and architectural tours
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Savannah is nice but be prepared for a high cab fare to your hotel--the station is quite far from the area you'll visit. In addition to the River Walk and restaurants by the old market, there are a number of squares and stately or historic homes to see. If you get a car or have other transportation, there are also Tybee Island (beach) and I believe some nearby plantations.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And don't forget the bus stop on the square in Savannah where Forrest Gump told his story............
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanner, not to be picky, but that is "Central of Georgia" station.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As others said, be sure to walk along the Riverwalk as it has nice views of the river traffic and several interesting old shops. It is located at a lower level than the main downtown street so be sure to find one of the locations where stairs or side streets drop down to that level. Also some of the squares along side streets a block or two south of the main drag are interesting as noted above. The visitors center in the old CofG station is worth a visit, too.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page