RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New RR guide now posted on web site!

Author Topic: New RR guide now posted on web site!
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted the first part of my Coast Starlight guide on my web site. Here is the link:

http://www.railroadrich.com/log_36a.html

This guide covers the CS between Seatle and Emeryville. Hope you enjoy it!!!

--Railroad Rich

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an amazing amount of geography, geology, anthropology and history you present. Reading through the Seattle to Olympia section I learned quite a bit about my own backyard that I didn't know before.

One of the things that always distinguishes a native or long time Northwesterner from the visitors and arrivistes is the ability to correctly pronounce local names like Sequim, Leschi, Issaquah and, most importantly, Puyallup. I'll offer a couple of videos that might help your readers with their pronunciation of "Puyallup". In the linked song, Puyallup rhymes with gallop and the "Puy" syllable is pronounced like the last syllable in Pepe le Pew. So, if you want to correctly pronounce Puyallup, think: (Pepe le) Pew-(g)allop.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For decades I mispronounced Willamette until I spent some time in Portland. I was saying it somewhat like Lafayette. It's WilLAMette, dammit. (Not quite as embarrassing as finding out La Jolla and La Hoya were the same place in San Diego.)
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and for riders on the Portland section of the Empire Builder--"Bingen" rhymes with "engine"
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments, everyone!! In this guide, I am afraid I've put in too much geology for non-geologists, however, but there just isn't enough room in the guide to explain all the complex geology of the Pacific Northwest in detail. I try to generalize and only include the "basics."
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
You might be interested in adding some info about the Chambers Bay Golf Course. It's a publicly owned golf course located right next to the Point Defiance tracks. In 2015 the US Open will be played on that course with all of Amtrak and BNSF's train movements serving as a backdrop.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page