RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Where can I find a decent hotel in........?"

Author Topic: "Where can I find a decent hotel in........?"
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tentatively planning another AMTRAK trip for this June, which will involve an overnight layover in L.A, between the S-bd CS and the E-bd Southwest Chief.

Where can I find a decent (not necessarily "cheap") hotel within a short taxi ride from LAUS?

Thanks--

Railroad Rich

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've stayed on two separate trips at the Metro Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles. It's one block over from Union Station. The place was clean and reasonably priced both times. I'd put it on par with a slightly above average Best Western. By that, I mean an older property that has changed hands..... the fixtures in the rest room are dated..... but still in decent enough shape that you don't feel like you're in a 'no tell motel'. I was doing the same transfer you're doing..... in on CS, out on SWC and wanted some place close in case the CS was running late.

Others will make recommendations of nicer places a little further away from Union Station and I would certainly consider those if you're planning to be in Los Angeles more than one night.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never know how to answer this question. Why? Because hotels are so incredibly subjective. For example, I would NEVER recommend the Metro Plaza Hotel---however, I know that it gets recommended over and over again by railfans. So if you are just looking for a place within walking distance that's fairly inexpensive and is old and not-so-great in my humble opinion, then go for it. However, if you want a full-service hotel that offers room service, a pool, gift shop, all of the usual stuff, you can't beat the Omni Hotel. They have a FREE Lincoln TownCar service that takes you anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the hotel, and this includes LAUPT. Don't forget there are those brand new, really nice hotels located at "LA Live" (I think it's the Ritz Carlton and the JW Marriott).

When I travel, I like "nice" hotels. When I'm in a big city, I always go with a five-star. When I'm on the road, I always go with either Hampton Inn (preferred) or my backup is Holiday Inn Express. Unfortunately, neither of those are available close by to LAUPT. BTW, the Westin Bonaventure is very famous downtown hotel, however, I recommend skipping it. The rooms need to be overhauled, and the rooms are also TINY and are a weird shape because the building is round.

So for overall everything for one night in LA, I'd go with the Omni. It's usually in the Top 3 on TripAdvisor.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of TripAdvisor.....Here are the two pages on the Metro Plaza and the Omni. The pictures taken by travelers are always the best because it shows you what the hotel REALLY looks like.

Metro Plaza:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77829-Reviews-Metro_Plaza_Hotel-Los_Angeles_California.html

Omni:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77804-Reviews-Omni_Los_Angeles_at_California_Plaza-Los_Angeles_California.html

(They are #6 on TripAdvisor, but that is for all of Los Angeles. For downtown, they're 1 or 2).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
PS: I just read the first few reviews for the Metro Plaza. I think it's safe for me to say "Don't stay there!". Read the comments and you'll see why.
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We stayed at Metro Plaza about 15 years ago and it was terrible. Everything Smitty said describes that visit and I would never return there. On a subsequent trip we stayed at the downtown Marriott. Had a great cab ride to the hotel with tourist type commentary by the driver. The return cab ride took the long way around via a very rough neighborhood and ended with us disputing the cab fare. I would definitely avoid Metro Plaza at all cost.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you really want to see LA, another option is to stay out of town. We like using Frank's Santa Barbara as our base. You'll get off the CS sooner, (nice if its running late), and get a daylight ride the next day on one of the Surfliners into LA.

The afternoon one originates in SBA (so should be on time) and gets into LA at 4:55 leaving plenty of time for your connection to the SWC. Since I think our preference in lodging is a little weird, I'm sure a check of hotels.com and trip advisor would give you plenty of options that suit your style in that beautiful city.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've stayed at the Metro Plaza many times and I have never had a problem. It is the closest hotel to Union Station and is only a two block walk. It is decent..nothing fantastic. If all you want is a place to sleep, go for it..and the bonus is that is very close to Phillipes..and you know the raves about that place.

I'm always on a budget. I'm semi retired now and I don't have a a tremendous amount of money to spend. If I can find a hotel in a downtown area within walking distance of an Amtrak station under $100 and it isn't terrible I'll go for it. I have had no problem with the Metro Plaza.

Unless the hotel is the destination and you want to make that your base, I can't see spending a fortune just to sleep. Hey..when you are sleeping it doesn't matter if you are in a Motel 6 or a Hilton..as long as it's safe and not a run down property.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of getting off the Starlight here in Santa Barbara, spending the night and then going down on a Surfliner to catch the Southwest Chief!

If you are into nostalgia you could stay at the original Motel 6 (It shows as #1 on their website. It's about four blocks from the Amtrak station and a block from the beach. A search mid-week early in June shows a senior rate of about $85.00. That's certainly not the original $6.00 a night but you don't need a roll of quarters for the B&W TV or the "Magic Fingers" bed.

Keeping up with the nostalgia theme you could also go the the first and only remaining Sambo's Pancake House. It's about two blocks from the station. The menu has been updated a bit but it is still owned by family of one of the founders.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the Los Angeles Athletic Club, http://www.laac.com/ Very convenient and nice, but I think prices have gone up a lot lately. See if full hot breakfast is included; it's very good. Spa use should be included. Location is great, but there is one area nearby to avoid, so if you're unfamiliar with downtown LA, check with the hotel and/or take a taxi from Union Station.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked the website. The middle two weeks in June are blocked. A single queen room is available at about $170.00 a night. They have, apparently, done some extensive remodeling and that may explain the rate hikes.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
There's still a Sambo's around? Do they still have the Little Black Sambo wallpaper like the chain restaurants had?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Smitty--

To be honest, it's been awhile since I've been there but the promise of Chicken Fried Steak is a pretty strong lure. Here's the link to their website: http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/index.html

When Sambo's was at it's peak, they built a Headquarters building on upper State Street that survives.

My current favorite for CFS locally is The Mesa Cafe. Their twist is that they use Tri-tip. http://www.mesacafesb.com/MesaCafe/Home.html
It would be a cab ride from the Station but worth it. Their sister restaurant, Cody's, in Goleta would be about the same ride from the Goleta Amtrak "Station".

Frank in dark and cool and cloudy SBA

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few tri-tip roasts in my freezer from my sister's angus calf! I wonder how they cut it for the CFS? I'm off to google it. The calf I get from my sister each year is grass fed with NO additives. They will not even worm their cattle, although you really do not need to worm calves.
(Darn it!!! I drooled on my keyboard, again...)

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Googling "Sambo's restaurants" brought up quite a few items about the history of the chain and the unintended (if predictable) consequences of its name and marketing. Absolutely fascinating.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
In my area (SF Bay Area), Sambo's restaurants were everywhere. Even more common than Denny's. I used to love their french fries because they were cut into a waffle pattern and were soooo good.

Thank you for that info, Frank!! Tri-tip CFS?? Oh boy oh boy oh boy....that sounds REALLY good. (If anyone ever had Amtrak's "special" of CFS, it was ultra-bad..there ARE good recipes out there). I'm bookmarking those two SBA restaurants in my "Trains" folder in my browser. I would love to try them both.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Hey, that Sambo's web page is really neat! They have a 1980 TV commercial that I remember very well. They've also got old ads, pictures, and other memorabilia---really neat! I was surprised to see how the name "Sambo's" was formed (combining the names of the two owners)....because the restaurants I went to were always themed around Little Black Sambo. It was on the menu, the walls, everything.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the advice, everyone!! I am not sure I can really afford a long train trip this year, though, with other financial commitments I have already made. I may delay the trip until August, if I go at all. Or maybe even next year -- I got an AMTRAK voucher on my trip last year for a segment I canceled too late (less than 48 hrs ahead of time), which is good for a year, but if I don't use it by August of this year, I can reactivate it for another year.

Thanks again! I will keep all your suggestions on file!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mike--

I suspect that they slice the tri-tip fairly thick across the grain and then do a light tenderizing. I'll ask next time I'm there.

It used to be that tri-tip wasn't readily available in most parts of the country. The Santa Maria style BBQ was about the only place you could get it. When my brother and sister-in-law moved to Nashville ten years ago they could only get it frozen in bulk bags at Costco. Now I believe Publix and other chains carry it.

RRRich--

I'm sure you know this but others might now. Be sure to exchange that voucher as close to the expiration date as possible. If you don't you'll lose a few days or more because the new one will expire one year from the date of issuance.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On our last west coast trip we visited friends in Santa Maria who introduced us to Tri-tip. And, they also took us to Spencer's Fresh Market where they produce their own label of Tri-tip seasoning. We bought a couple large bottles and now use it on most any beef I grill at home. I'm not sure how wide spread Spencer's is, but think it is pretty local. We think it beats Montreal Steak seasoning.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will the Mesa Cafe make a delivery to the northbound Coast Starlight on May 31?

I normally cook the tri tip in our crock pot for about 6-7 hours... it comes out pull apart with a light-weight plastic fork tender...

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mike--

They just might!

You really should try it on the BBQ. Great stuff and even better the next day on sandwiches. The traditional Santa Maria Style BBQ is sliced tri-tip, grilled garlic bread and "pinquito" beans.

Palmland--

Yep, Spencer's only has four stores -- Santa Maria, SLO, Atascadero and Morro Bay. We use a seasoning from our favorite local meat market -- Shalhoob's. Jill Shalhoob has a very good small restaurant on Santa Barbara St. that most visitors never find.

Frank in sunny and still cool SBA

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Will the Mesa Cafe make a delivery to the northbound Coast Starlight on May 31?

What a GREAT idea!!
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
If I wasn't going to cook up a leg of lamb this weekend, I'd be fixin the tri-tip!!!

On edit... I do have a weakness for really-good chicken fried steak. That's why I cannot go to Tomball. Goodson's Cafe will make me fatter in a matter of minutes... They have some seriously good CFS. Their large CFS comes with two plates and a to-go box.

http://goodsonscafetomball.com/menu

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, if you want to do it yourself.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Henry--

Thanks for the link. It pretty much says it all about tri-tip!

Mike--

Goodson's was always on "the list" when Norm was based at IAH. Somehow we missed it but it sounds good enough for a special trip!

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

On edit... I do have a weakness for really-good chicken fried steak. That's why I cannot go to Tomball. Goodson's Cafe will make me fatter in a matter of minutes... They have some seriously good CFS. Their large CFS comes with two plates and a to-go box.

http://goodsonscafetomball.com/menu

That's the biggest darn piece of chicken fried steak I've ever seen!! Holy moley.
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Or, if you want to do it yourself.

My tri-tips are much larger than that (they are roasts), but I will give that recipe a try next weekend. I will try to remember to take a picture or two...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page