RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » True West Railfest

Author Topic: True West Railfest
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My latest issue of "True West" magazine has an ad for the 2nd Annual "True West Railfest", in Durango, Colorado. The dates are Aug 15-18, 2013.

http://www.coloradoinfo.com/allaboarddurangotrain/truewestrailfest

Looks like an interesting event.

I don't think I will make it this year, but, in the future, what choices are there for detraining the Calif. Zephyr and traveling to Durango? If you get off the Zephyr in Grand Junction are there any direct flights from Grand Junction to Durango airport? Is there a bus service between Grand Junction and Durango?

Riohard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yukon, I don't know where you may be boarding but the SWC to Gallup may be another choice.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would most likely board the Zephyr either in Martinez or Davis.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to this, a GJT to Durango bus is about to start up.
http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/articles/state-to-roll-out-gjtodurango-bus-service

It will go through Telluride instead of Silverton. Most of this is through some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in Colorado. Proposed schedule seems to work well for the Zephyr and it stops at Amtrak.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Thanks for the bus info, TwinStar. Yes, the drive from Grand Junction to Montrose to Durango is an especially scenic drive. I did it about 12-14 years ago. I really liked the little community of Ouray, Colorado.

The only drawback would be a 6 hr. bus ride. I might choose a plane flight just to save time. If there isn't a direct flight from Grand Junction to Durango, maybe it would be better to take the Zephyr to Denver, then fly from Denver to Durango if there is such a flight.

Richard

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out one way car rentals. Got a $62 rate from Avis for a one day rental. Beats the bus.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that although Greyhound dropped their Grand Junction-Albuquerque route in 2011 the most recent online Greyhound timetable (Jan 2013) still indicates that service on their route map.

It's just that when you start looking for Table 469 one finds that there is no Table 469!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As RRCHINA says, I believe Durango is much closer to Gallup than to Grand Junction, but if you want the more scenic mtn drive through the San Juans, GJT would be the place to detrain. Otherwise, I would suggest you take either the CS or the San Joaquin (and connecing bus) to LAX, then the SWC to Gallup and rent your car there. There may be a bus from GLP to Durango, but I do not know.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until recently, US 491 going north from Gallup toward Durango used to be US 666 (The Devil's Highway).

http://www.prairieghosts.com/highway666.html
http://www.haunted-places-to-go.com/highway-666.html

But now that it is renumbered, it is perfectly safe. Good luck.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps a highway leading to Las Vegas should be numbered US 777?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page