RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cumbres & Toltec Disaster Special

Author Topic: Cumbres & Toltec Disaster Special
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Friday (6-14), I rode the fabulous Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, which I had done before about three times. It turned out to be a Disaster Special, and a very interesting demonstration for the railfan of what can go wrong when a railroad has a bad day. We departed Chama at 10am, on time. As we began the steep climb up to Cumbres Pass, the trouble began. The aspen trees this year are infested with tent caterpillars, which are defoliating the trees. For some reason, the crawly things like to lie on the rails. Our steam locomotive kept losing traction, causing the wheels to spin. The train got stuck more times than I can count, and the sander was not effective in dealing with the problem. In many stretches, the crew walked ahead, brushing off the rails, and laying down sand by hand. Hours later, when we finally broke out of the last of the aspen groves below Windy Point, the car I was riding in went off the rails. The crew wasn't immediately aware of the problem, and we were violently bouncing along on the ties until one of the passengers alerted them. The train crew, plus two men who came up on the motor car behind us, worked about 1 1/2 hrs to get the car back on the track, using a rerailer, and some jacks. While we were waiting, the President of the railroad hiked down the tracks from Cumbres Pass to our stranded train, and announced that due to the lateness of the hour, we would be picked up at the Pass by buses, and taken to Antonito or Chama. We also got a rain check for another trip. Wow ! What a day !
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that this happened to you. I've ridden the C&T about half a dozen times dating back to 1999 and every trip has gone smoothly.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page