RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A modest proposal

Author Topic: A modest proposal
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why doesn't Amtrak sell car names?

I know some Superliner II cars are named for states (I've ridden in either the Oklahoma or Nebraska or Kansas -- they all look alike), but why not put it on a paying basis?

I'm not talking about anything as crass as the Bud Light Lounge. Limit it to governments and individuals, not corporations: The Chicago Diner, the Eva Marie Sleeping Car, the M. Webster Baggage Car. Charge so much for a name on the side, charge a whole lot more for a name and art work, up to say, a quarter of a side.

Of course, it wouldn't solve any of Amtrak's financial problems, but it might help keep the lady in support hose.

------------------

Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short version:

Amtrak needs hundreds of millions, not tens of thousands.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not? And, personally, I have no qualms about putting corporate names on cars with the condition that they be company names that do not involve tobacco, alcohol, or "adult" products. Keep them squeaky clean.

It may not raise billions of dollars, but every little bit helps.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not have the money raised go directly towards the repair of the damaged(and desparately needed)Superliners. Every little bit will help, and Amtrak should not be above corperate sponsorship of cars.
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
City busses do that on a regular basis, why not trains too? It sounds like a good idea to me.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We still looking for Amtrak to make "self-sufficiency" goals here? Hey, who knows...what with the problems the airlines are now facing, they may just start doing that themselves (imagine a 10-10-220 ad staring at you from the door of the overhead luggage compartment??)
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Canada, Go transit, Via and the Toronto subway have had some or all of the cars of a train sold, on a temporary basis, to various commercial concerns. Via has on several occasions re-painted whole locomotives in corporate colours. The Home Hardware company, in order to promote a contest, had several locomotives painted in their corporate logos. Personally I think it looks pretty tacky, although the railways obviously like the money.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GP25
Member # 158

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GP25   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seen a Cal Car with Yahoo on it. I seen a few Horizon Cafes with half or full size Ads. And I did see the Lion King Ad on Superliner car 31047 too. So I think Amtrak should allow Ads on they Cars and Units. After all. the Companys are paying Amtrak to display their Ads. I will even like to see some ads in the Cars too. Like the ones you see on City Buses above you. I know that may not happen. But if Companys are willing to pay for Space on an Amtrak Trains. Amtrak should have some ads on their Trains
Posts: 40 | From: Tarzana, CA-USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page