TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » E-gaspers on Amtrak

Author Topic: E-gaspers on Amtrak
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now, Amtrak bans even e-cigarettes from its trains, but in light of this article on e-smoking in the NY Times, will that policy change soon?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily - articles like this one suggest non-smokers and enforcers are uncomfortable with the idea. Doesn't exactly send the right message to our kids.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, Geoff, although I wonder if attitudes differ between the UK and the US. Attitudes in the US tend to be corporate-driven.

The fact that it's difficult to discriminate visually between e-ciggies and real-ciggies does suggest Amtrak won't be changing its policy any time soon.

Rules do change over time. A case in point is the strong possibility that the FAA will lift the bans against electronic devices during takoff and landing.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can smoke e-cigs in your room or in any coach bathroom. No one will know. I have several friends that quit cigarettes using the BLU e-cig with the #5 insert.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our company has an informal policy not to e-smoke in front of customers or in their apartments. No customers in the office = no problem with e-cigarettes. In a vacant apartment = no problem with e-cigarettes. Two of our long-term employees and heavy smokers have quit cigarettes and are exclusively e-cig, now. Two people I know through paintball have quit completely, after several months using e-cigs and one (nickname = Tobacco) has 100% switched to e-cigs. I'm trying to get my sisters to make the switch...
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Good point, Geoff, although I wonder if attitudes differ between the UK and the US. Attitudes in the US tend to be corporate-driven.

There is a huge pro-smoking lobby in the UK (unfortunately) and it does hold some sway. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised to observe how relatively few smoke around here in southern California.

Some US-centric links for you then:
Banned on LIRR and Metro North
St. Louis considering a ban
Banned on MARC?

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
You can smoke e-cigs in your room or in any coach bathroom. No one will know. I have several friends that quit cigarettes using the BLU e-cig with the #5 insert.

I'm curious as to whether the vapour from these things would be enough to set off smoke detectors such as those installed in aircraft bathrooms.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

The vapor is largely water vapor with some tobacco byproducts that the e-gasper manufacturers claim is harmless. Is it? So far no convincing large-scale studies by credible researchers point one way or another.

But if it is proven that the vapor is not toxic to bystanders, perhaps the e-ciggy industry would then have a legal case to force public transport to allow it.

Perhaps there could be an industry standard for the color of a glowing e-ciggy so that it's instantly clear what is being used.

I am NOT advocating e-ciggies in any way, just keeping this thread going because there just aren't any others at the moment.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Perhaps there could be an industry standard for the color of a glowing e-ciggy so that it's instantly clear what is being used.

Now that's not a bad idea. It then brings me to one of my favorite (mis)quotes: "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - which would apparently also apply to the source of the quote.

--------------------
Geoff M.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So glad I never started "the habit".
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Lucky you, Smitty. I was a heavy smoker from age 17 to age 35. Before then quitting was hard and I backslid once. Now I pity smokers.
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I am NOT advocating e-ciggies in any way, just keeping this thread going because there just aren't any others at the moment."

:-)

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

(Airily blowing e-ciggy vapor in Don's face.)
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to report you.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

To the conductor?
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Consider it done. [Smile]

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Good thing the other threads have perked up or I would keep this one going.
Buford T. Justice
Member # 93607

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buford T. Justice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been free of tobacco for about three weeks thanks to the eGo CE4 eCig. I do hate the name "eCig". I think that hurts what these marvelous devices are. It is hard to come up with a better name with something that involves inhaling and exhaling a harmless vapor. Perhaps the name eCig is perfectly fine and will be accepted socially as the populous learns about these and the safety they bring to others.

Should those of us who use eCigs (we are called vapers) pull our eCigs out in public and start vaping them? I usually ask someone of authority if it is OK. If not, I go outside or do business elsewhere which welcomes vaping. I do hate standing outside with tobacco smokers as now the scent of tobacco smoke smells terrible to me. I can see why non-smokers hate it along with the second and third hand smoke that harms their health. These are not issues with eCigs.

I have become a master of ninja/stealth vaping. I simply look around to make sure it is clear, take a drag without letting excess vapor free float, and exhale down towards my lap. That or I go to the bathroom and take a few drags.

New Zealand has studied eCigs and found them to be perfectly safe:

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/ECigsExhaledSmoke.htm
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/News2012SOTposter1861.pdf
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/DublinEcigBenchtopHandout.pdf
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport30-Oct-08.pdf

The USA FDA is a whore for lack of a better word. Big tobacco hates that there are now thousands of small businesses supplying eCigs and the fluid for them called eJuice or eFluid. What better way to deal with the threat of eCigs than to have them banned. That is what happened down in Mexico. The entire Mexican government is a whore.

I read recently that Amtrak now has a quiet car. Why not have a smoking car at the very back of the train and a vaping car?

The last time I took Amtrak, two drunks were thrown off the train at different locations. Why does Amtrak serve beer yet hate vaping? Using the old time-honored excuse "what about the children" is stupid. "Hey kids! It is OK to walk around from car to car drunk singing like a Klingon but don't take up vaping. That is really bad and may lead you to smoking tobacco." PLEASE!

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

quote:
Originally posted by Buford T. Justice:
New Zealand has studied eCigs and found them to be perfectly safe:

Let's put this into a bit of context. The organization to which you refer is a research organization - not the NZ Ministry of Health's website. In fact the latter says this:

quote:

Medsafe has not approved any e-cigarette for sale in New Zealand. Therefore, it is illegal to sell an e-cigarette in New Zealand that contains nicotine. It is also illegal to sell an e-cigarette (with or without nicotine) that claims to help smokers quit, or an e-cigarette that looks like a tobacco product (or smoker's pipe) to a person under 18 years old.

Calling the FDA names kind of nullifies any argument you then make. However, I accept e-cigarettes are most likely safer than regular cigarettes though.

--------------------
Geoff M.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buford--love the name. LOL!! One of my favorite movies. [Smile]

I agree about the tobacco lobby......they are very rich and powerful, and hate e-cigs. I have never smoked a day in my life (although my lungs are full of smoke from my firefighter days, before the requirement to wear full SCBA on vehicle fires and other incidents), but I LOVE the new e-cigs. I would so much rather have someone next to me "vaping" instead of smoking. I CAN NOT STAND walking up to a business, mall, movie theater, etc, and having to fight my way through all of the smoke in the air from everyone standing out there getting in their last puffs. The smell of cigarette smoke disgusts me---makes me want to vomit at times (literally). I know that millions and millions do it and enjoy it, but I sure don't understand how. It's so gross.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buford T. Justice
Member # 93607

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buford T. Justice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
Calling the FDA names kind of nullifies any argument you then make. However, I accept e-cigarettes are most likely safer than regular cigarettes though.

Not really. The FDA does good and bad. There are lots of articles online about this.

Even though the New Zealand links I posted are not official government links, a medical professional who was with the Ministry of Health studied eCigs and found them to be safe:

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/aboutus.htm

I can tell you all I feel great since quitting tobacco three weeks ago. It seems like I have been bitten by a werewolf or something. I am still smelling new things each day and my food and drinks taste wonderful. I can hold my breath about 15 seconds longer now (I hope that keeps improving). I have not felt this good in a LONG time and I have eCigs to thank for it.

eCigs are marvelous devices. I am giving some out as gifts this upcoming Christmas to tobacco smokers I know. I don't use one that looks like a cigarette. I use one called the eGo CE4 which looks like this:

http://vapourettes.com/ego-ce4-1.jpg

Nicotine in the dosages present in tobacco cigarettes and eJuices containing it are at safe levels. Potatoes, tomatoes, and egg plants have trace amounts of nicotine. There are studies being done on nicotine as it seems to help people with dementia and Alzheimer's Disease remember things better and it seems to help fight Parkinson Disease if caught early enough:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101013095331.htm
http://www.webmd.com/parkinsons-disease/news/20060811/nicotine-slows-parkinsons-disease

Nicotine is not the bad guy it is made out to be. The real bad guys are the 4,000+ other chemicals present in tobacco cigarette smoke. These bad guys can kill you. Thankfully they are not present in eCig vapor.

Granted, large doses of nicotine can kill you. Pretty much anything in large doses can kill you, lol.

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page