RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » CSX Fall Trackwork on the old ACL

Author Topic: CSX Fall Trackwork on the old ACL
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NCDOT has just posted this message to it's 'bytrain.org' website regarding temporary schedule changes for the Carolinian, Palmetto, and northbound Silver Star from Oct 14 - Nov 14.

I was aware that something was in the wind having been hamstrung by the temporary schedules in both directions trying to book something between Raleigh and Baltimore the weekend of October 19th.

Presumably this trackwork will be taking place in the 'CSX black hole' between Rocky Mount, NC and Richmond, VA...... an area where an Amtrak train can enter on-time and emerge five hours late on the other end...... though that doesn't happen nearly so often as it used to.

Temporary Amtrak Schedule Changes

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys have been mentioning this CSX "black hole" for quite a while now. I have ridden the Silver Service trains many times (although not as much now as I used to when I lived in FL), and I don't recall EVER experiencing significant delays between RMT and RVR.

I do believe there will be some present and future delays in FL between JAX and the Orlando area now, however, due to construction of the Sun Rail system.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fairness, things between Richmond and Rocky Mount are mostly better these days than they have been BUT there was a period from about 2003 - 2008 where you could pretty much count on taking a hit between those two cities.

It was the worst for the Carolinian and Palmetto which had to work their way through literally on each others' markers during the most congested time of the day. I did experience that section of the railroad 'entering on time, leaving at least two hours late' 8 or 10 times riding #'s 79, 80, 89, & 90 and even #52 once at various times.

Two or three of these late arrivals were honestly in the five hour late range...... though the northbound Auto-Train could get a pass. It sat on a siding near Rocky Mount for five hours due to signal outages during a winter storm.

Another time, when Amtrak had movies in Business Class on the Carolinian, we ground to a stop on a siding near Petersburg. After sitting for about 30 minutes, a movie started on the video monitors. The movie ended 90-some minutes later and we were still sitting in the same place. Not due to an accident or a crew 'dead-on-the-law'..... this was just typical CSX congestion and dispatching priorities at that time and it happened nearly every day.

I will say that this is the only time I ever actually watched a movie while on an Amtrak train.

Again - the Silver Star and Silver Meteor seemed to make it through with less difficulty.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree that operations are smoother on the north end of the ACL line to Richmond - as long as there are no 'incidents'. The margin for error and resulting congestion is very slim.

I was looking at the new schedule for the Star - 92 northbound. It's great for those of us who live in the middle of SC. A 10pm departure and 8:40am arrival in Washington is great.

It's ironic that this is very close to SAL's schedule for the Silver Meteor when it ran this route and the current Meteor is on the schedule of ACL's Champion. It worked then, maybe they should keep it! Sorry Tampa (this temp. schedule calls for a bus conneciton) - of course the solution to that is again have a seperate Tampa section - maybe combine at Orlando.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
You could book transportation on the northbound Star during the trackwork Palmland, but you're still looking at a wee hours arrival if you come home on #91!

I would vote for separate Tampa and Miami sections for the Star and Meteor. Maybe if the FECI All Aboard Florida enterprise actually lays track along the B-Line, Amtrak might someday run their Miami sections from Orlando over to the FEC and down to Miami (where they may or may not ever serve the new intermodal station abuilding at the airport) that way.

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I'm considering a Star trip north in Oct. If so, the plan would be to drop a car in Florence for a Palmetto return and then catch the Star out of Camden. Or, I might just drive to RMC homecoming!
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
So if the destination is Ashland, would you take the northbound Star all the way to DC and double back?

Sounds like a fun trip.

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Yes I would, David. Actually the plan would be to change to a MARC train in DC for BWI. There I would meet up with a Baltimore buddy who will be picking up another friend at the airport for the drive to Ashland. The things we do to get a good train ride.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
Yes I would, David. Actually the plan would be to change to a MARC train in DC for BWI. There I would meet up with a Baltimore buddy who will be picking up another friend at the airport for the drive to Ashland. The things we do to get a good train ride.

Indeed.

I have worked many a dogleg into my intineraries over the years to better accomodate some rail travel!

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Time to inspect CSX track program. Heading out tonight on 92.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page