RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight SBA-TAC

Author Topic: Coast Starlight SBA-TAC
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the report I sent to my "general" audience as we headed to Tacoma for my 50th Peace Corps Reunion.

We enjoyed the train portion of the trip very much. The PPC was under-supplied. No table cloths or napkins, no coffee mugs, only one mini of gin! Worse was the inventory sheets (REAMS of dot matrix printed minutiae!) that the attendant has to justify for the end of the trip.

Frank in sunny but cool SBA

WEDNESDAY, 4 SEPTEMBER 2013
ON BOARD AMTRAK'S COAST STARLIGHT, TRAIN 14
We are headed to Tacoma, WA and Frank's 50th Anniversary Peace Corps Reunion.
We go off to a late start. The train lost time between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara
and hasn't made it up yet. We are coming into Paso Robles but have stopped because
of a "tie fire". The Conductor says not to be alarmed. The Fire Department is there. Ah,
the joys of travel.
We are using some AGR (Amtrak Guest Rewards) points for this trip. They were just
sitting there and this seemed like a good way to use them. Since they are my (Frank's)
points I'm in a bedroom which includes a toilet and shower and a nice big bed and Norm
is down the hall in a Roomette. It's fine for one person but not for two. No toilet -- that's
down the hall -- and the shower is downstairs. The real upside is that neither one of us
has to climb into one of Amtrak's notoriously claustrophobic upper berths.
One nice thing about this train is that it has a "Pacific Parlour Car" which is for sleeping
car passengers only. These cars were built in 1955 for the Santa Fe Railroad's "Hi-Level
El Capitán" which ran between Los Angeles and Chicago. It was the first attempt at bilevel
trains. The lounge cars have comfortable swivel seats and curved windows that go
up into the ceiling.
Although we were an hour late boarding they were still serving lunch in the Diner so we
went there right away. I had a pretty good Chef's Salad and Norm had an Angus bacon
cheese burger that he said was very good.
By the time that we finished lunch it was time to return to the Parlour Car for Wine and
Cheese tasting. We sat with a retired UA pilot so there was some airline talk but we
mostly just enjoyed the scenery as we went right along the coastline through
Vandenberg Air Force Base and on up into our first stop at San Luis Obispo.
We've done this trip before and the Wine Tasting was a bit more casual than we've had
before. We had the feeling that Debbie, the car attendant, was more interested in
finishing the job and selling wine. They are able to do that by the bottle and I'm pretty
sure she gets a cut -- either formally or by just helping herself.
We have two choices for dinner. We can eat in the Diner -- sharing a table but with five
entree choices -- or we can eat in the Parlour Car with a table for two and two choices.
We've opted for the Parlour Car tonight.
As sleeping car passengers all meals are included. That's really good value because
the meals tend to be a bit pricey a la carte. The steak at dinner is about 25 dollars.
We are just coming into Paso Robles and are still about an hour late so I think I'll take a
break and finish up my "Champagne". Oh, did I forget to mention the "Champagne"?
Actually it's Sparkling Wine from California but quite nice. Another perk for sleeping car
passengers. It's meant to be in the room when you board but our attendant didn't get
around to offering it until after the wine tasting.
More later.
THURSDAY, 5 SEPTEMBER 2013
Dinner was good last night. Norm had a braised beef rib with barbecue sauce and I had
a dinner salad with five or six very good shrimp with a Cajun seasoning on them.
Desserts were disappointing. Amtrak used to do a really good job with that. Norm had a
sort of chocolate mousse that looked like something you might buy from the Deli case. I
had a cardboard cup of orange sherbet. It was served in the cup -- no plate, nothing. All
that was missing was the wooden spoon.
I slept very well right on through until Dunsmuir at about 6:00AM. One good thing about
running late is that we had a good daylight view of Mt. Shasta. The route of the train
takes us pretty much around three sides of the mountain.
Norm and I exchanged a couple of text messages until we lost cell service. I slowly got
up and had my shower and got dressed. I'm in the Parlour Car getting caught up on mail
and thinking about having a cup of coffee. Our Hostess looks like she didn't have as
good a night as I did.
10:00AM
Norm joined me in the Parlour Car and we each had a very good Bloody Mary and
Blueberry Scones. We moved from there to the Diner where we sat with two young
women from Germany who were just finishing up a three week tour of the United States.
I had a huge breakfast -- a vegetable and cheese omelette, very good potatoes, two
chicken sausage patties and a giant croissant. Norm had the "Railroad French Toast"
which he said was good but it didn't look like the puffy kind I used to enjoy on the
Southern Pacific Coast Daylight.
After breakfast we went back to the Parlour Car and read the Klamath Falls newspaper.
Our friend Cary will be happy to know that they quoted an article from the Redding
Searchlight about a group in far Northern California that wants to secede from California
and start a new state called Jefferson. I've been hearing these stories for years and they
seem to come up again every once in awhile.
Norm headed back to the sleeper for a shower and I struck up a conversation with new
retiree from Auckland, New Zealand. His wife doesn't like to travel so he's on a rail trip
around America. You do meet some really nice people on the train and also a pretty fair
number of "unusual" folks.
It's nap time for we. We are going through the Cascades now and there seem to be
tunnels every mile or so -- some of them quite long.
SUNDAY, 8 SEPTEMBER 2013
Our train adventure continued to be enjoyable. We arrived in Tacoma, WA, just about
ten minutes late which is the same as "on-time" for Amtrak.
Our friend Jim Button ("Uncle Jim" for those of you who remember when my classes
followed him and "Aunt Martha" around the world on their 97 day cruise on HAL's
Rotterdam.) picked us up and got us the La Quinta.
We were soon swept up into reconnecting and catching up.
On a wet Friday Norm and I and Kate and George Griffin went to the Boeing Museum of
Flight. We hadn't been in quite awhile and it is now much larger. We had planned on just
spending the morning but realized we wanted to see more so had a good lunch in the
Museum Cafe and then didn't leave until about 3:00PM.
Part of the Museum is the Airpark where they have the first 747, examples of the 727
and 737, an early Air Force One, a beautifully restored Lockheed Constellation and one
of the British Airways Concordes. You can walk through the Concorde and Air Force
One. This one was used by LBJ when he was Vice President and has the doggie door
into his office for the Beagles.
Yesterday we spent the morning at the Museum of Glass which is a beautiful building
and has an amazing glass studio. We were captivated by the process and ended up
having a very good lunch in the Museum Cafe.
From there we took the free Link Train to the LeMay Car Museum across from the
Tacoma Dome. They have 300 cars on display at any given moment but have close to
1,000 cars in total in the collection. It was a real trip down Memory Lane!
We've decided that Tacoma is a pretty much hidden gem. We've always thought of it as
being the industrial step-sister of Seattle but it is anything but.
The Dinner was last night and was preceded by Happy Hour. We did tributes to those
we've lost (2 from Costa Rica II and 5 from El Salvador II).
We have had our final breakfast and said some hasta luegos and hope to slip out on a
van to the airport at 12:30PM.
We will be back up in Seattle on Thursday for the departure of a 10 night coastal cruise
on Friday.
I am going in for heart valve replacement surgery on 1 October and will be up and
running and ready for more adventures soon after. That will include our next Peace
Corps reunion in Providence, RI, in October, 2015!

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Brother served in the Peace Corps and was killed on 1-1-85 when the Eastern Airlines flight from Ascunsion to La Paz crashed into the summit of Mt, Illimana. His name was Bill Kelly and his wife was Judith. If you should know him please let me have your email or phone number and we shall communicate.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I left the Peace Corps in June, 1965, so would not have known him or his wife. Where was he (they?) serving?

We didn't lose anyone while "in country". That started later when two people came down with melanoma. It's hard to pinpoint, but I've always expected that exposure/over exposure to the intense sun without protection led to their deaths.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA where Grand Princess is off shore waiting to tender about 2800 ashore!

Frank in, well, see above.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill was Acting Director for the Peace Corps in Paraguay and was on his way to Miami to pick up new members who would serve in Paraguay.

Thank you for your service in the Peace Corps.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
It was a truly life changing choice for me.

And, I got to ride trains in Costa Rica while there were still trains to be ridden!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report, Frank. And I want to thank you for your service to the Peace Corps!
Hope the surgery is nice and smooth and you are up and "training" it soon!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Sojourner--

The surgery went very well. I had my three week check up (and discharge) with the surgeon today! I still have quite a few restrictions which will last into late November but, all in all, things are moving along.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report Frank.

Made me think of the 'Lost State of Franklin', a stillborn attempt in the 1800's to carve a new state out of parts of Western North Carolina and East Tennessee.

Read more here about the State of Franklin.

Like so many things in Appalachia, it was 'done in' by people who just would not get along.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page