RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ghost of Seaboard's Silver Meteor

Author Topic: Ghost of Seaboard's Silver Meteor
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1966 I had a summer job in Camden, SC where DuPont was building a new Nylon plant as the 'new south' came to this part of the country. Also that summer the Silver Meteor began stopping each evening at 9:18pm. This was presumably because of DuPont personnel that needed to be in the corporate HQ the next morning in Wilmington, DE - which was also my home. This was an event I saw many times, when not heading into Columbia for 'refreshments' with buddies. On one occasion I rode the Meteor home before returning to college.

So it was appropriate that some 47 years later, and a career that had me away for 35 of those years, I found myself waiting on the same platform for Amtrak's Silver Star that was operating on a much earlier schedule of 10:00pm departure due to CSX trackwork.

Amtrak was impressive. It highballed into town with a screeching stop and the sleeper right in front of me. Before the train stopped the conductor had the vestibule open and from the bottom step called out "looking for one passenger, Mr. Mike A". The dozen or so coach passengers looked slightly confused as I hopped on and within a few seconds we accelerated to another stop for coach boarding.

It was a good trip with an excellent attendant. Breakfast was the always good french toast as we slowed for Ashland, VA - my eventual destination for college homecoming weekend. The LSA and waiter were on the ball and I was finished by Fredericksburg. Arrival in Washington was about 20 minutes late at 9:00 am, as we followed a VRE commuter train. If on time our trip would have been a little less than two hours longer than the 1966 Meteor - the result of 60mph speed north of Columbia (a secondary CSX line now) and of course the dogleg at Raleigh to Selma.

After a brief stroll of Washington Terminal (a moveable scaffolding obstructs the view of the Main Hall ceiling-completion 2016) I boarded a MARC train to BWI to meet friends. As I stepped off the train, the BWI bus was waiting and I was inside the terminal less than 15 min. after the train arrived.

My return was on the Palmetto. It was operating on a four hour later schedule. I counted 34 in the business class car into Richmond - good thing those combination cafe-business class cars were replaced. But, the amenities were certainly lacking - only Friday's USA Today (it was on a Sunday), and of course no attendant, pillows, or someone advising about the free soda. What you really pay for are two seats to yourself and a quiet ride. The coaches were packed.

This train crew was similarly energized to keep the train moving. At several stops I heard the two horn blasts and 'all aboard' even though passenger were still boarding. Probably because of the effect of the trackwork, the train had a narrow time slot to fit in to other traffic and avoid delays. We arrived Florence 20 minutes early.

A good trip, although I can't party like I used to.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How was the weekend at RMC? What activities did you take part in? And how did you get from BWI to Ashland? Enjoyed the report.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An old high school friend has recently moved to Ashland, VA from Louisville, KY. We may be making a trip up to visit and work in an Amtrak daytrip while we are there. I'd like to go up to DC and ride MARC or Metro out to College Park to see how things look at the old U (of Maryland). My wife would prefer heading the other direction and spending the day in Williamsburg.

We'll see.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silver Star- Homecoming is a much bigger occasion than it was in my day. I counted over 30 events on the program. We attended the alumni reception in the tailgate area and made good use of the 'free' food and drink. Caught a glimpse of the end of the game: RMC beat W&L. We had very enjoyable dinners at the new Trackside Cafe and Ironhorse Restuarant (very good but getting pricey)- both on Center street. You should go back and take a look if it's been a while for you - the campus has changed dramatically in recent years thanks to some very generous donors.

The trip to Ashland from BWI was courtesy of a Baltimore friend who picked up me and another buddy arriving on Southwest. The drive to Ashland was horrible. Over an hour of stop and go on I-95 south of Washington all the way to Fredericksburg.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page