TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Season's greetings

Author Topic: Season's greetings
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . from D.C., where the spouse and I arrived on No. 30 yesterday afternoon.

We were 1 1/2 hours late getting out of Chicago owing to a shortage of serviceable locomotives. Every LD train was at least that late departing until a P42 or two could be dog-robbed from an incoming train.

Otherwise it was a fine trip. Excellent crew, full of festive humor. The diner seemed to be freshly outshopped, and everything worked on our sleeper.

The spouse and I tried the "lighter fare" item on the menu. That was a small (4 oz.) beef eye of round, pearl couscous, and roasted carrots. The beef was tasty but very tough, hard to cut with an Amknife.

Breakfast was the elusive French toast . . . excellent.

Thirrty-seven minutes late into D.C., not too bad.

The Cap Limited seems to be one of Amtrak's most consistent offerings. I've ridden it four times in three years, and it's been a pleasant experience every time.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merry Christmas, Henry, to you and yours.

Question about the food: I've noticed that ever since Amtrak switched to "Simplified Dining Service" and all of the transitions that have taken place since then, the one inconsistency in every AmDiner I've been is are the veggies. They just can't seem to cook them right. They're either cold, or if they are the correct temperature, they're either super rubbery or very hard to slice and chew. I haven't found decent veggies yet. How were the carrots? Not, "How were the carrots for Amtrak", but just a plain old, "How were the carrots?". Thanks.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the carrots were done surprisingly well. I agree with you about Amtrak veggies. They're usually either underdone or overdone. Once in a while the chef gets it right, though, and he did that time.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, very happy holidays to you all
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Holiday Henry!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warm wishes to you, Henry, too, for a continued wonderful holiday season.

So glad your Amtrak trip was a pleasant one. Hope all of yours -- and everyone's! -- are great, too!

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page