RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Checking Bags CHI to BOS

Author Topic: Checking Bags CHI to BOS
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember how I did this on my last trip on 4 to 448. I plan to keep the suitcase in the sleeper storage area on #4. But I think I should check the bag in CHI to BOS as I think there is no storage place in the Viewliner.

My question is can I check that bag in the Metropolitan Lounge or do I need to go somewhere else in CUS to do the checking. Or, since we have a bedroom on #448, will my bag fit in the room?

Sure hope #448 improves its performance by October or we will have a very short night in our Boston hotel. We are in Boston during a boat racing event on the Charles so I booked a hotel already as the rates and availability were getting out of hand.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColdRain&Snow
Member # 15381

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColdRain&Snow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train 448 will be a beautiful ride in October. I tend to prefer maximizing space in my sleeping accommodations as it makes for a nicer journey. To that end, I would probably bring a small overnight bag with toiletries and a change of clothes, checking the big bag through to BOS.

At CUS, you can day-check your bag in the Metropolitan Lounge if you want to sightsee during your layover. For the trip to Boston, you will need to check the bag at the Ticket Counter which is near the ML (same floor) at the base of the escalators. However, go to the far right ticket counter that is adjacent to the elevator. You will see a sign there that indicates it is a dedicated counter for checking bags to those pax who are already ticketed. It is usually a MUCH shorter line (a few people normally) than the general line.

At BOS, it is a bit unique in that you will walk up to the Baggage Car and wait there for Amtrak staff to bring out the bags right there. They will take your bag ticket, and you will leave with your bag from the platform. It's a pretty quick operation which is nice.

Sounds like a nice trip. 448/449 are a lot of fun! --Jeff

Posts: 46 | From: Playa Del Rey, CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jeff. I vaguely remember that baggage check area at CUS. Will do it.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't help but I hope you write a trip report for the CHI-BOS section - I don't think many write about it!

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
I think I did a report last time. Would have been 2011. I just pray for a timely trip.

--------------------

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I'm sure I read it - I just meant that there aren't many in general! It's one of those pesky bits of long haul Amtrak that I haven't covered: Albany to Boston; Spokane to Portland; Emeryville to LA.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I've just gotten back on line to give my answer to your question: I don't like checking bags (esp as I don't like waiting for them), so when my husband and I had the big sleeper between Albany to Chicago, we did check westbound but decided eastbound not to. We kept our luggage in the big sleeper with no problems--it was A or B--and we kept the 2 bags, one on the other, over near where the chair is sometimes when there is a chair. OTOH, this may depend which sleeper you have.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page