RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » acella

Author Topic: acella
ennisav
Member # 750

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ennisav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can anyone tell me about the infrasturucture of the new acella service? Is it run on freight mainlines?
Posts: 3 | From: Charleston,SC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Acela service is run on dedicated track not used by the frieght companies. Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelican
Member # 754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Amtrak owns the NEC trackage, it is not really dedicated passenger. In some areas there is a fair amount of freight operation. NS and CSX both operate through and local trains along portions of the corridor.
Posts: 28 | From: Alexandria VA 22315 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right you are Pelican, freight is operated in the N.E. corridor, but not on all tracks. Metroliners & Acela operate on dedicated tracks, which are concrete tied with special roadbed & ballast specs. Northeast direct Amtrak service & inter corridor service to points south of DC operate on other tracks that are also used by the frieght roads. Most of the frieght traffic is restricted to off peak hours also. Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reggierail, you are not entirely correct. Freight trains can (and do) operate on all tracks on the NEC, at dispatcher option. Freight operation does tend to be at night, however, when fewer passenger trains are around to get in the way.

I was waiting for a train at BWI at 11 pm last week, and an NS freight came down Track 2 (middle track, concrete ties etc.) at 50 mph. So there are no dedicated tracks for high speed trains. It's entirely dispatcher option as to which track to use for which train.

HOWEVER, maximum track speeds do vary. South of Philadelphia, where the railroad is three main tracks, one (usually the east track) has a speed limit of 80 mph, while the other two are good for 125 (or, for Acela Express, 135). North of Phila., where, there are four tracks, the two outside tracks have lower speed limits as far as Trenton. North of Trenton, where NJ Transit has paid for welded rail and concrete ties on both "local" tracks, I understand the maximum speed is the same on all four tracks.

With respect to freight, the only segment of the NEC with significant through freight is Perryville, MD to Baltimore (about 60 miles), with about 20 million gross tons of freight per mile per year. Limited through freight service also runs north from Perryville to Newark, DE. North of there, virtually all freight is local switchers only. Between Baltimore and Washington it's local freight only, except for the Pope's Creek and Chalk Point coal trains (which leave the NEC at Bowie, halfway between Balto and Wash).

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rr, could you clarify that just a little more? Just kidding, I think you went into a little more detail than most of us laymen here needed. It's good to know that someone here actually knows what they're talking about. Reggie

------------------

Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>FREIGHT OPERATION DOES TEND TO BE AT NIGHT, HOWEVER, WHEN FEWER PASSENGER TRAINS ARE AROUND TO GET IN THE WAY.<
Is it the passenger trains that are in the way of the freight trains, or are the freight trains in the way of the passenger trains?

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the NE corridor, passenger trains are given the priority. There are a lot of commuter services throughout the corridor also & the dispatchers have to do one heck of a job keeping things running smoothly.
Elsewhere in the country, most of the time, passenger rail takes a back seat to the freight trains. It seems BNSF does a pretty good job of Getting Amtrak through its system, the UP doesn't.
Reggie

------------------

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of that may be due to BNSF having more double track segments than UP, though I don't think that is the only reason.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ennisav
Member # 750

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ennisav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a conductor for NS and someone mentioned that pasanger trains in general take a back seat to freight trains. That is inacurate to say the least. I have set at a red board for over an hour with less then thirty cars waiting on amtrak, numerous occasions.
Posts: 3 | From: Charleston,SC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ennisav,
It seems to work both ways, depending on the line. To expand on my previous post...when the Desert Wind was still running, it went into sidings often between Las Vegas and Daggett/Barstow. The Amtrak train was pretty short (engine+baggage+4 or 5 cars) and easily fit in the sidings, while the coal trains and other freight trains did not. On the Santa Fe (now BNSF) segment south/west of Daggett, the double track allowed fast running.
More recently, I have noticed that the UP holds freights at Santa Barbara while waiting for the various Amtrak trains to go through. This line is mostly single track, but some of the sidings have been extended recently.
I can't speak for the Sunset (ex-SP) however; I don't know if the delays are caused by heavy freight traffic or other reasons.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page