RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Superliner Brake Lights?

Author Topic: Superliner Brake Lights?
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

How do these two lights opperate? Which one is green and which one is amber? This picture clearly shows one light was taken off Superliner I's. I've heard it was the red emergency brake light. Is this true, and now which light if any displays an emergency application. Do the position of the green and amber differ between Superliner I's and II's?

Thanks,
Matt

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked my car attendant about those lights when we were sitting around El Paso...I think she said that Red meant the brakes are on; yellow they are being released and green they are off? But she wasn't 100% sure and neither am I.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're talking about what i think you are, the green light means the doors are all closed and it;s safe to start moving. The engineer can see this with his side mirrors. The amber means the door is open and he shouldn't move yet.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard this debate over and over again and no one seems to know which it is. Some say they indicate door position, while others say it's the brakes. I have seen pictures of a trainset with all the doors closed and the lights were all amber (check out the picture on page 28 of the November 2002 issue of Trains magazine)(plus I've been on the Southwest Chief and have seen the amber lights on while we were in the Cajon pass, I sure hope a door wasn't open then!), so I tend to believe they are brake lights, but then I see a picture of a train stopped at a station and the lights are green (so I doubt the brakes would be released). I have never ever seen the red aspect on any of my train trips. So I suspect the red is emergency. I'm just wondering if Superliners still show red, since they only have two lights now. I wonder if one light can show two colors(amber + red)?
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the vestibules of the Superliners, there are overhead control panels with several buttons, lights, and switches on them. I always thought that the car attendants changed the marker lights when their car was secure, but from what I just read, they [the markers] all change at once, so individual cars don't have isolated systems, right?

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 10-09-2002).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the superliners, the green/amber lights have nothing to do with the doors, nor are they controlled by any attendant.

The light panel you see in the lower-level is for interior lighting, and marker lights (at end of car if it is last car of train)

The amber/yellow in this discussion are brake lights. Amber mean's they're applied on that car. Green means all brakes have been released.

This is neccessary for the engineer to see, to avoid stuck brakes. Watch the train at night when going around a curve, you may see the brakes be applied to slow down a bit, and then be released.

Also, watch this when the train is departing a station. It has nothing to do with doors, just the brake status.

~Chris

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wheels of steel
Member # 1332

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wheels of steel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello railroaders, I have also seen that on a captial limited movie, as the train was rolling down the tracks, the lights was clicking back and forth amber and green, I
am also aware that the veiw was from the car door being open The half part of the door.

Posts: 4 | From: lawerenceville,ga us | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda of a cool system these lights. So if the engineer is applying the brakes and one of those car's lights is not showing amber, it tells the engineer that unit's brakes need attention.
I guess my car attendant was pretty much right! Some still have red...or was that the Metrolinks' cars...uuhhh...hehe

quote:
Originally posted by F40PHR231:
On the superliners, the green/amber lights have nothing to do with the doors, nor are they controlled by any attendant.

The light panel you see in the lower-level is for interior lighting, and marker lights (at end of car if it is last car of train)

The amber/yellow in this discussion are brake lights. Amber mean's they're applied on that car. Green means all brakes have been released.

This is neccessary for the engineer to see, to avoid stuck brakes. Watch the train at night when going around a curve, you may see the brakes be applied to slow down a bit, and then be released.

Also, watch this when the train is departing a station. It has nothing to do with doors, just the brake status.

~Chris

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coach34135:
Kinda of a cool system these lights. So if the engineer is applying the brakes and one of those car's lights is not showing amber, it tells the engineer that unit's brakes need attention.
I guess my car attendant was pretty much right! Some still have red...or was that the Metrolinks' cars...uuhhh...hehe

Yes, Chris is absolutely right. The amber/green lights on the side of the superliners near the door reflect the current status of that car's brakes. The marker lights on the end of the car are turned on/off with a manual switch in the electrical panel as are all other electrical services for that car.

------------------
_
V Rick Miller Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. ICQ 104290053
Linux - The Freedom to Chose

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all

This has been very helpfull. I'm making accurate Superliners for the computer game, Microsoft Train Sim.

Anybody know about the third "red" light though?(Only on Superliner I's) Was the emergency brake indication taken off of Superliners? The P40's and P42's do have markers that will light red when an emergency brake application is made. I know for sure now,(looked at some real old photos I have), that Superliner I's did display red. So what's the theories on this?

Also the twin red markers on the last car. Are these still used on the last Superliner, when there are mail, roadrailers, etc... on the rear? I know for sure that the end mail/roadrailer will have a standard EOTD(End Of Train Device)

Thanks Again,
Matt

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching the lights at Alpine station on the Sunset Limited. It was a "smoking stop" so a lot of people got off, including me (despite not smoking). The train moved forward to move the coach cars to the platform. The interesting thing was that the brake lights didn't come off together, nor in sequence (ie from the front to the rear of the train), but apparently randomly. Strange.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Southwest Chief asked: "Also, the twin red markers on the last car. Are these still used on the last Superliner, when there are mail, roadrailers, etc... on the rear? I know for sure that the end mail/roadrailer will have a standard EOTD(End Of Train
Device)."
I've seen the Chief a few times with the markers lit (on the Superliner immediately before the mail/express), so it can and does happen!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Southwest Chief -

Tell me about this Microsoft "Train Sim" game you are developing!! When will it be available? How much will it cost? Are you contracting to Microsoft to develop this game? Will this be in the same family of computer games as "Sim City"?

--Rich K

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRich, Microsoft Train Simulator is already out.

People can create their own locomotives, routes, and cars as well.
http://www.microsoft.com/games/trainsim/

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Microsoft Train Sim has been out for a while now. It is great in that you can create your own stuff with appropriate 3D software. Many 3rd party companies have offered addons and some are outstanding. In fact my favorite route is the Cajon Pass route made by 3DTS http://www.3dtrainstuff.com/press.html
There are many websites that offer free addons too(cars, locos, whatever)
Check out this site. http://www.train-sim.com/cgi/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
It has a forum to discuss all of the many aspects of Train Sim.

Train Sim is more like flight sims then Sim City, although sometimes, I wish it was easier like Sim City to create your own routes, etc...

It is a very adicting game and if you're into trains, it's a must have.

Superliner
Member # 1670

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One reason all the lights will not go from amber to green or green to amber all together is beacause of each cars brake system. One car may release/respond quicker than another. Some Superliners (and other types of equipment) have red lights that indicate the train has gone into emergancy.
Posts: 33 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page