RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Ft. Leonard Wood-NYC Special Trains

Author Topic: Amtrak Ft. Leonard Wood-NYC Special Trains
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody remember the details of the special trains Amtrak ran in the late 70's to early 80's (?) during the Christmas holidays from Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. to New York City? I vaguely remember reading about them in Rail Travel News but don't recall ever seeing any photos or consist lists.

I would have thought that a bus would have run from FLW to connect with the NATIONAL LTD at St. Louis but instead IIRC it ran from the base via the Frisco to St Louis then over the NATIONAL's route. I don't recall Amtrak running any other military specials.

Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember hearing about it, but no more. Ft Leonard Wood had trackage into the post and sufficient facilities to handle the train direct from the base. I don't remember much about it and certainly did not have time to railfan it, as when I was there it was in 1969 for basic and AIT. The post deserved its nickname, Ft. Lost in the Woods.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page