RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Elyria, OH station?

Author Topic: Elyria, OH station?
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone familiar with the Elyria, OH station and surrounding area? A future trip makes getting off and on at this station a possibility and both times are around 2-2:30am.

Are there taxis and hotels nearby? What type of waiting room is there if I should be there for a few hours?

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMTK271
Member # 1778

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMTK271   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The waiting room is just a room with chairs. I think you would have to call for a taxi, I've never seen them there. Not sure on hotels, though. I would be carefulof your surrondings if I were there at 2am in the morning.
Hope this helps.
-Paul

Posts: 24 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The station in Elyria is small, not staffed and is equiped with a pay phone next to the door outside. There might be a number for a cab service on it, but if not, dial information. Hotels are nearby but not right next to the station. Use Amtrak's web site to get the address of the station, then search for a hotel with something like travelocity.com and see how far away the nearest hotel is from the station.
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info on this station. I think I'll end up using the Cleveland station since it's still pretty close to my ultimate destination. It's also staffed so that is a consideration with 2am arrival/departure times.

I did check out the Elyria station on mapquest and there are some hotels within a few miles. If it were not for the timing of the trains, I might have tried it...

Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

A quick check of whitepages.com lists a Howard Johnson at 440-323-1515. It looked too far to walk from the station to the hotel(esp. at 2am in winter?!) but they might have a shuttle service.
Mapquest shows the old RR names -- Penn Central and Baltimore & Ohio -- crossing in town. The station is on the old PC.

M P

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case you're wondering what you've missed by going to Cleveland instead of Elyria, take a look at:
http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/elyria.htm

Kinda makes Cleveland's humble little depot look like the Taj Mahal.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page