RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak's New Residency Program

Author Topic: Amtrak's New Residency Program
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article is from "Reason", which may turn some off as it is a libertarian news outlet:

http://reason.com/blog/2014/03/10/amtrak-residency-offers-free-rides-to-wr

I sort of have mixed feelings about the program. I guess you could say it's just a form of Amtrak advertising, and could pay off with new Amtrak ridership and interest in Amtrak.

However, is it financially worthwhile? Why is it a free program for journalists? Does it represent a valid expense?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The residency application requires FB and Twitter account info. With time and experience I have become opposed to both FB and Twitter, though I understand they are necessary contemporary marketing and promotional tools. But I no longer personally use them.

Much travel writing is quite stale and redundant to me. Either flat or outright PR puff. I hope whomever they select brings a refreshing take on rail travel.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/riding-rails-newly-minted-amtrak-writer-residence-204720277.html;_ylt=AwrSyCMlnCNUviUAEd3QtDMD

I guess that the younger generation will soon expect to have the internet, wi-fi, instagram, laptop desks, etc., available on all Amtrak trains. I just like to look out the window. It would be interesting to read Ms. Carlson's impression of Amtrak after one of her trips.

The Coast Starline?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do hope this young lady can at least get the name of the train correct when she files an article. At this point I have reservations about this program. Looks like wasted money to me.
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps, if they open it up again, I will send in some of my trainku - hiaku about trains, Amtrak and otherwise and see if I can get selected.

Lest I miss the moon
The California Zephyr
Shakes me from my bed

In the lounge car
I stretch and watch the landscape;
Contrails high above

I forgot to check
Walking to the dining car:
Is seat belt sign off?

Words stuck in my head:
‘Do the locomotion with me.’
I dance in my sleep.

Sun through the window
Singing rails lull me to sleep
Tireless iron horse

Traveling by train
It's almost like a road trip
But I get to nap

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ira,
This is fabulous. You are an incredibly creative fellow!
Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tom!!
Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen those moons on the Zephyr.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at the terms and conditions before you sign up!

Other friends, on other forums, have noticed that you surrender more than a little bit of your author's rights to your writings ... and I do not just mean your writings in support of Amtrak projects.

If you are someone earning a living from the written word, you may want to consult an intellectual property attorney before signing up.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page