RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » coast starlight

Author Topic: coast starlight
Va. girl
Member # 1994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Va. girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rode the coast starlight from L.A. to Seattle on Oct 2 and it was great!! Loved the Pacific Parlor car and the attendant Tom, who never appeared to sleep or otherwise depart from service. I felt like a queen. Pastries in the morning (before departure), Tom took care of dining reservations, wine tasting - ah, make that substantial consumption in afternoon - and interesting narration thruout. Didn't stay much in my sleeper and so didn't really get to know my sleeping car attendant - no real personalized service (drinks, coffee, newspapers) in sleeping car so that focused my attention in pacific parlor car. Sleeping car had coffee and juice available at all times. Sunday newspapers came on (in parlor car)at 8:00 a.m. Also like the dining car option of $8.00 for a "glass" of merlot -- make that a half bottle. Food was good. We came in about 45 minutes late - which compares favorably to the 15 hour late trip they reported several days previously, do to freight car wreck on track. It took about an hour to get a taxi - that was only downer of trip - cause King Stadium had just let out and it was total gridlock around the train station.
Posts: 1 | From: stafford | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you had a good trip. Amtrak receives a number of bad letters and feedback every day, maybe you could take a minute or 2 to send them one like what you posted on here...

Just a thought.

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also travelled with Tom back on 4 May, Sacramento to Seattle and he was as good as Va Girl says. If Amtrack ever put him and Guy, attendant on the Sunset Limited, together, they would never lose riders!
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to hear you had a nice trip. As FP40PHR231 says, write a letter to Amtrak. Please mention Tom's name. About a year ago, I wrote to Amtrak and mentioned the good employees names, and explained why I thouught they were good. Amtrak seemed genuinely grateful that I took the time to let them know about their good employees. Maybe Tom might even get a raise.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If not a raise, at least a notation on his file about the good service he provided.
Im am totally surprised, I have yet to hear a bad complaint about the Coast Starlight from anyone. It seems that many who take the route experience some delays(most of which are not caused by Amtrak) but all seem to agree that it's beauty make up for the lost time(look on the bright side, a delay means that you can see more of the trains contrasting beauty!).

Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page