RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Upgrade advice?

Author Topic: Upgrade advice?
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

I will be riding the Texas Eagle later this month from FTW to CHI for a business trip. My company will pay for a standard bedroom but I have to admit that I got spoiled this summer when my wife and I travelled around New England in a deluxe bedroom. However, the difference in cost for this round trip is around $400.00.

The question - What is the recommended procedure for upgrading on board if a deluxe room were available? Make an offer? Let them suggest an amount? Does one haggle over the price? If the one way accommodations charge would be $200, what would a reasonable amount be?

Thanks,

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark - no, there really is not any mechanism to "negotiate" a price when you upgrade on board. If there is a room available, you will just get it from the conductor and pay the difference for it. I have not done this for many years, so I don't know what the procedure is now for paying. I don't know if you pay the conductor, or if he will tell you to pay for the room at an upcoming station stop (when there is enough time during the stop to pay for it). The conductor will probably radio ahead or call AMTRAK to make sure that the room is available before he releases it to you.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upgrades can be done on board depending on room availability. Conductor should have a passenger manifest showing who is assigned to each room for the entire trip, not just his segment. So you should be able to upgrade on board & not have to do it at a station.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made an upgrade from coach to sleeper on the Three Rivers from Pittsburgh to Chicago last month. The original price would have been $190 which I considered too much so I booked coach. At the PGH station I checked for availability and price when I arrived to catch the train. There were rooms available and the price was $110. I considered waiting until boarding and possibly haggling with the conductor, but decided to buy it at the station.

I'd suggest checking at the ticket counter and see if the price is within your budget. Then wait until you board and see if the price is the same from the conductor.

Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the information. I'm pretty sure that there will be rooms available. At least there are rooms now - I don't leave for a week.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak will occasionally call passengers before a trip to offer them the chance to upgrade at a discount price (usually about what you'd pay the conductor for the upgrade on board), so keep an ear out for the phone. When this happened to me earlier this year, it was the first time I'd ever bought anything from a telemarketer.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To "Cajon" -
yes, the conductor may have a passenger manifest, but he will not have a computer with the most recent updated reservations -- that is why he may tell the passenger that, even though his manifest shows rooms available now, the passenger may still have to check at a station to make sure the room was not reserved while they were enroute, since he got his "manifest."

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 10-12-2002).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 2 months ago I spoke with several Amtrak employees about upgrading accomodations on board. I was told by all that you have no advantage by booking on board the train. One conductor did say he would give a passenger a break if the fare went down at the next station or two. He would book the price from a station down the line and allow the passenger to use the room immediately. You could save a little that way. Otherwise it would be best to check for upgrades at the station before you board the train. The conductor can also call to check if the room is still available from the train. It won't be necessary to wait till the next station. The conductor can accept cash or a credit card on board the train for the upgrade charge.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 years ago, I upgraded from Austin to Chicago for $86. (from standard to deluxe)

The next year, I upgraded on the Coast Starlight for $100. I was originally told it was $120, but I mentioned the Eagle upgrade (roughly same distance and only 1 year ago) and the conductor lowered the price to $100.

Bottom line, ask & negotiate. You have nothing to loose.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

Well I made it to CHI this evening. No upgrade since all of the deluxes were taken by Saturday morning. Perhaps I'll get a chance to upgrade on 21.

The ride on 22 was good - we were only about 45 minutes late into CHI. We were on time until we got close to Chicago and then the freights got us.

Service was good - train was not full (although the sleeper was).

No sightseer lounge - just a coach with a converted lower level.

Cheers,

Mark

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page