TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » News from Kansas Public Radio

Author Topic: News from Kansas Public Radio
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning, I was listening to Kansas Public Radio, the NPR affiliate operated by the University of Kansas. The local hourly segment said the CEO of Amtrak was coming to Kansas to discuss the routing of the Southwest Chief (3/4).

Apparently, Amtrak and BNSF have made no headway on the Albuquerue/Las Vegas/Raton/La Junta/Dodge/Newton Topeka routing (aka the historic Santa Fe).

To me, options include:
1) Re-route on the Union Pacific old Kansas Division (route of the City of Saint Louis)
2) Re-route to the Transcon.
3) Terminate the service.

I don't see BNSF and Matt Rose keeping the line up at FRA Class 4 or 5 standards. It is a feeder line for them anymore. Raton is a hill worth avoiding as a matter of economy.

Here's a link to a Wichita Business Journal article on same:
http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/news/2014/07/09/amtrak-ceo-riding-through-kansas-for-southwest.html

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pullman, please look at another thread on this topic at this site.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Routing via KP would be great as we visit family in western KS on that line annually. But nothing but slow grain and coal trains that doesn't mix well with passenger trains. Why not use the CZ route with a stop at Denver and Pueblo. But the awkward move in Denver to head south would be time consuming though and not sure why BNSF / UP would agree to either.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page