RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A/C and Heat in winter?

Author Topic: A/C and Heat in winter?
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more question...

I've never ridden the train when it was cold outside. I know that the air conditioning in the summertime can be inconsistent and was wondering about the heat in the cooler months. Is it likely to be too hot, too cold, or anybodys guess?

Thanks,

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being Amtack (not a cut!) the heating and cooling is probably fairly unpredictable. But, as hearsay testimony, my May trip included the Sunset Limited in hot weather and the cooling was fine. As was the heating on the Empire Builder (entire route) a week later. And so were the other partial runs (SW Chief, Zephyr, Coast Starlight, and City of NO).
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Head-End Power (HEP) stays up, the heating 'should' be fine. I boarded the Chief in March of 2000 after about a foot of snow had fallen in FLG. Although it's usually not freezing when it snows (if the clouds stick around), it was really nice to get on board and feel the heat from the vents.
But if the conductor gets mad at the passengers for any reason, he'll cut off the heat and kick in the A/C- so take a coat!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
id hate to be that conductor if a person actually got sick or died from him/her cutting the heat out of spite
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Efin98,
I was just joking, and I've never heard of that happening before. But with that incident several weeks ago on the East coast, when the passenger did die (although not climate related), I suppose it wasn't the best comment.
My apologies,
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there was an incidence where a person died on Amtrak? When was that?(its the first I heard of it and i meant no disrespect to the deceased).
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FOr the record I am aware of that death, but still think Eric's post was funny.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years ago, I rode the Sunset Ltd between L.A.and New Orleans, and the air conditioning did go out, and, after a several-hour delay in El Paso to try and get it fixed, a lady did die on the train, and it was related to the air conditioning problems. These things do happen, only they are pretty rare......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for starting all this!!!
Mark- didn't mean to turn your thread into this topic! I'm sure everything will go fine. Have a great trip!

mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
Sorry for starting all this!!!
Mark- didn't mean to turn your thread into this topic! I'm sure everything will go fine. Have a great trip!

No problem there...

Thanks for the info - I knew that this would be a difficult question to answer. The A/C ran the gamut on our trip last June - #22's was perfect as was 448's, 41's was inadequate, and the A/C on #21 almost froze us to death!

I think that I'm fortunate that my employer will allow me the choice of riding the train. An airline flight might appear to be cheaper but in reality is not. I am going to a conference in downtown Chicago and can spend one less night in the hotel because the train gives me more time "on the ground" what with security, travel to the airport, etc.

One of my co-workers is going with me (he didn't want to fly) and he will have his own sleeper as well. This will be his first Amtrak journey so I have my fingers crossed that the experience is pleasurable for him.

I'll let you all know all about it when I get back.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's something that always and I mean always happens when I travel the Southwest Chief.

As soon as I board and go to my room(sleeper), the climate control knob is always turned to the warmest position. And this can make the room quite warm! I like to keep the room a bit cooler, so I change the knob to the coolest position. But the problem is that since it was on warm, it takes all night for the room to cool down.

Does anyone know how much control this knob really has? I know that the Superliners have climate controls that are set by the atendent for the entire car. And I think this master control really decides what kind of temperatures you'll be feeling for the most part. It seems the room control is limited since the hallways and most of the car will be controled by the master control.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As well as the temperature control knob, isn't there also a cool air vent in the ceiling that you can open or close? It's getting the balance right that is the tricky part!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geoffm:
As well as the temperature control knob, isn't there also a cool air vent in the ceiling that you can open or close? It's getting the balance right that is the tricky part!

Geoff M.

Geoff,

Sometimes the vent control doesn't do the job. When we were on #21 back in June, the air was blasting so much that I had to use some duct tape to cover the most of the vent with paper. I don't get cold very easy but I was about to freeze!

Always take some duct tape along!

Mark

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During hot weather, take a small fan, too.

When I traveled on the Southwest Chief and Coast Starlight this summer, the a/c was perfect and the ceiling vent worked fine.

On the Empire Builder and Lake Shore Limited, however, both of my sleeper rooms grew uncomfortably stuffy once I closed the door.

I was really glad I'd brought my fan. It made all the difference -- especially in the LSL's Viewliner, where I had my fan plus the room's two built-in fans all going at once.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of my Amtrak riding has been in the winter, and the heat has always worked. I recall arriving in Salt Lake City on the CZ some years ago and it was 25 below zero. It was toasty warm in my sleeper, but the interior metal strips around the window were caked in ice--not enough, however, for my gin and tonic. As for that little knob, I don't believe that in fact it does anything at all. It simply spins around and does not (at least in my experience) have any effect on the heat. The heat actually comes from the metal panels near the floor below the window. As for the air vent, its only control is a little lever that may or may not shut off the continual flow of air. I have at times shoved towels in the vent if I didn't want the air. Duct tape is also a good idea.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The temp control on most Superliner I cars is all but useless. It appears that the controls on most of the Superliner II cars are still functional. The temp control doesn't affect the baseboard heating which is controlled from the master control board across from the luggage area on the lower level. This controls the temp in the whole car. The vent control only directs or restricts the flow of air into the room. You can also increase the flow by leaving the door open, closing the door decreases the airflow into the room.

Reggie

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page