RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Big change for the Westbound Lake Shore Limited

Author Topic: Big change for the Westbound Lake Shore Limited
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumor has it that train 49, will take current Empire Service train 283's (Dp NYP 1:45PM, Ar. BUF 9:08PM) time slot at the end of the month. This means 283 will take 49's time. Arrival in CHI would be around 7:00 or 7:30 in the morning, I think. It's pretty much a sure thing from what i hear, though, but anything could happen. This is not a new idea. Amtrak's been trying to get CSX to let them do this for a while now.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulAlan
Member # 1933

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulAlan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a break that will be for those of us in the middle, if it's true! Imagine, leave Cleveland before midnight, arrive Chicago early morning. That's tempting. Currently, Cleveland only sees the LSL in the wee hours, so it's a pretty unattractive way to go either direction.

I imagine the folks in Buffalo area and nearby are just as excited as we in Ohio are.

Any word on 48 being changed, or will it keep the same schedule as before?

Posts: 15 | From: Cleveland, OH USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is also good for those departing on the 449! now we have a pretty clear line all the way to Worcester thanks to alot less MBTA commuter rail traffic going west at that time!
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as i know, 48 is going to stay the same. I always liked the noon arrival in CHI. I always got to see more of the scenary along the way but that's just me
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's updated Schedule for Train #49 will have it leaving NYP at 12:45pm, Departing Albany at 3:55pm, Departing Buffalo at 9:09pm and arriving at Chicago at 7:00am Central. Train #48's schedule will remain largely unchanged with the exception of a few minutes here or there, it still will depart Chicago at 7:45pm. As was reported in earlier threads, this will be largely in what is currently Train #283's Time Slot, as Train #283 will run much later, closer but not exactly the same time as 49 runs now. This is great for Buffalo as you'll now have a train running West at a semi-decent hour, something we haven't had here in years!
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The schedule is fine going to Chicago...but connections further west will be VERY long.

#283 will leave NYP at 3:45 pm......no connection with Train #20 if you live west of Albany

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The LSL's new earlier schedule might be a vast improvement for people leaving from or going to Buffalo or Cleveland.

But remember, it isn't such thrilling news for the towns further along the route like Toledo, Bryan, Waterloo, Elkhart, or South Bend.

Amtrak can tinker with its schedules until the day after forever. But as long as there's only one train per day in each direction, there'll always be someone, somewhere, waiting on a platform at 4 o'clock in the morning.

One town's gain is another town's loss.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superliner
Member # 1670

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well to look on the positive side Boston passengers get direct serivce to Buffalo (Niagra Falls) and if the LSL is over 3 hours late passengers will still make Western connections and if the train is on time just more time to check out the city. Also #145, Acela Regional BOS-SPG-NYC-WAS has been annuled due to the fact that #449 has taken its slot.
Posts: 33 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page