RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » KCY 100TH ANIVERSARY

Author Topic: KCY 100TH ANIVERSARY
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me for reporting on the same trip repeatedly (KWD-KCY) but I wanted to share the glory of Kansas City Union Station's 100th Anniversary. My only New Year's resolution is to learn how to post pictures on this website.

The station was beautifully decorated for Christmas and the 100th year celebration. There are three big arched windows on the front side of the station and one had a huge number one, the middle a zero, and the last one another zero (100). The inside was beautiful with Christmas decorations. We stayed at the Westin, for one night, and our room overlooked the station. The entire building was lit up with red lights and something that looked like huge snowflakes. Maybe those are called holograms?

The purpose of the trip was to attend a concert at the Midland Theatre, in addition to taking a train ride. It is one of those old downtown venues left over from the motion picture heydays. All kinds of guilding etc. The show was the "Under The Street Lamp" group of Jersey Boys fame. They performed music from the 40's, 50's and 60's. They wore suits and ties and their choreography was great. How many of you remember Johnnie Ray? They did one of his hits.

It was a one night stand for us. We managed to have an early dinner at Lidia's before the show. Very good. Great wine.

The train ran fine except for a 25 minute delay leaving Kansas City. A freight train was in the way.

That quick trip was our Christmas present.

Merry Christmas.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a wonderful terminal, IM. As I said on another topic, I would like to spend more time there since we travel to western KS every year.

Posting a photo really is pretty easy if you follow these instructions.

PM me if you need help.

Although I was in KCY briefly in its heyday, I would loved to have seen more of the terminal then and some of its great trains like the Golden
State, Colorado Eagle, Southern Belle and even the Katy Flyer.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:

Although I was in KCY briefly in its heyday, I would loved to have seen more of the terminal then and some of its great trains like the Golden
State, Colorado Eagle, Southern Belle and even the Katy Flyer. [/QB]

Yes, indeed. Another one would be the City of St. Louis Domeliner:

http://streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track8/citystlouis196706.html

St Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Rock Springs, and Ogden.

A friend of mine once e-mailed me pictures of the inside of the KC station. Gorgeous! I'm old enough to remember Johnnie Ray.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Ray because his biggest hit, "Cry," got a lot of radio play not long after the Giants beat the Dodgers for the 1951 NL pennant. This 9-yo Dodger fan did a lot of crying after Bobby Thomson's "shot heard 'round the world." Wasn't Ray stone-cold deaf also?

Sounds like you had a great time, IM.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland, From where do you hail as you proceed to western Kansas? I was born in Wichita during the war. Dad was rejected from the military due to his deafness so he worked for Boeing building B-29's. I will check out the photo posting info. Thanks.

Yukon you and Palmland listed some great trains that served KCU. As a college kid I rode the Santa Fe to KC and then caught the KCS Flying Crow to Shreveport (circa 1963). I couldn't remember what the name of the Santa Fe train until George Harris told me it was the Kansas Cityan. I think that the ATSF cars were the tall ones similar to the Superliners of Amtrak. No doors in the middle though. There is a mural in KCU about forty feet long over a large stairway leading to a lower level off the main part of the station.The painting is of the locomotives in their dress livery representing all of the lines that served KCU. I probably will miss some but the mural includes CRIP, KCS, ATSF, MKT, UP, MP, TP. I think that the Wabash operated out of KCU also. I believe that the National Limited was a KC to DC train. I can only assume that was an eastern road like the B&O. I would appreciate any additions or corrections.

Ocala Mike you are right about Ray. He was severely hearing handicapped. Do you remember how he would fall to his knees and tear his tie off and open his shirt? I think that was part of the "Cry" performance. I remember seeing him on TV. We had just got one. I think I was eight years old. My older sister would scream when Ray performed. I wonder if that was the Ed Sullivan Show?

Thanks for the interesting comments folks.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
I remember Ray because his biggest hit, "Cry," got a lot of radio play not long after the Giants beat the Dodgers for the 1951 NL pennant. This 9-yo Dodger fan did a lot of crying after Bobby Thomson's "shot heard 'round the world." Wasn't Ray stone-cold deaf also?

Sounds like you had a great time, IM.

You probably are already aware of this, Mike. Some claim the Giants cheated on the Bobby Thomson home run. Supposedly there was a guy in the stands, with binoculars, who relayed the signs into the Giants and Thompson. He knew what pitch was coming. Some deny this happened. Still, an exciting moment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-leo/bobby-thomsons-home-run_b_687369.html

Iron Mountain: I believe the National Limited was St. Louis to Washington, DC, but I believe it also went on to New York City (B&O). The other train that I was trying to think of was the "City of Kansas City, St. Louis to Kansas City, Wabash RR. I think it may have been the only streamliner running entirely within a state, at least with its introduction.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnnie Ray was mostly deaf, but he did wear hearing aids. I did sound for a show of his in Houston at a small dinner theater back in the 80s. (off of Memorial in west Houston)

He was nice, down-to-earth, and entertaining, even at his age.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All good stuff, guys. I love thread drift (sometimes).
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IM, although my wife was raised in AZ, her family was from Ellis, KS, a former UP division point just west of Hays. No more City of St. Louis or Portland Rose, but the UP still sends their tonnage trains that way: coal and grain.

Her dad was WWII bomber pilot in the Pacific and met her mom in Ellis when he was stationed at Walker AFB. He flew those B-29's as well as B-17 and B-24's. Lost two engines after his plane was hit but made a safe landing. Just passed on to my son some of the shrapnel he took on that lodged in his seat.

The National Limited to KC was strictly an Amtrak train routed over mostly ex PRR trackage. The 'real' National was a B&O train from New York to Cincinnati and St. Louis with through Pullmans to the Texas Eagle and Texas Special at >St. Louis.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to the roads that served KCUS add FRISCO, MILW RD, CB&Q and CGW and delete TP.

The pre-Amtrak NATIONAL LTD was a St. Louis-NY train truncated back to Baltimore in 1958. In 1965 it became a DC-Cincinnati train and was discontinued in January 1968. The AMTRAK NATIONAL LTD was a KC-NY train that had a DC section for awhile and was discontinued in Oct 1979.

Johnny Ray made no effort to conceal his hearing device during his heyday in the 1950's when he was known as the "Prince of Wails" for his singing style.

Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking back to that show I did with Johnny Ray...

His personal assistant/piano player/music director showed me how he wanted his baby grand piano miked. Up until that time, I had never been happy with the sound I got on the few occasions I had to mike a piano. His mike positions were excellent, and I used his technique whenever I had a piano to mike.

Also, the crowd sang along with most of Johnny Ray's songs and seemed to have a great time.

Its amazing what I can find and remember in my memory banks when I go poking around in them.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page