RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Logic Problem

Author Topic: Amtrak Logic Problem
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the following puzzle is a bit easier than the last Amtrak logic problem I posted a while ago. I realize that most forum folk probably don't routinely work logic problems.

Five passengers are aboard five different Amtrak trains headed to five different destinations.

The passengers are Susan, Mark, Tom, April, & Bob. The five different destinations are Boston, New York, Denver, Sacramento, & Portland. Each passenger is wearing a t-shirt of a different color, red, green, yellow, white, & blue. Printed on each t-shirt is a logo of a famous, old passenger train, the Santa Fe Chief, Broadway Limited, Shasta Daylight, Orange Blossom Special, and Denver Zephyr. No two t-shirts are of the same color or have the same old passenger train logo.

From the following clues, can you determine the destination of each passenger, his or her t-shirt color, and famous passenger train logo on his or her t-shirt?

1. Tom’s t-shirt is neither red or yellow. April isn’t wearing the yellow t-shirt. Susan isn’t wearing the green t-shirt.

2. The five passengers are Tom, the one with the blue t-shirt, the person going to Boston, the passenger with the Santa Fe Chief logo t-shirt, and the person going to Portland, who has on the Denver Zephyr logo t-shirt.

3. Both the passenger with the Orange Blossom Special logo t-shirt (whose t-shirt isn’t red or blue) and Tom are traveling to their destinations in order to attend railroad museums. The passenger with the Shasta Daylight logo, the person in the green t-shirt (who isn’t going to Boston), and the person going to Denver are going to their destinations to attend family reunions.

4. Susan and Bob are the one going to New York and the one in the green t-shirt, in some order.

Hint: Clue #3 describes all 5 passengers.

I'll post the solution in a few days.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very few positive clues, mostly negative ones. This is going to be tough! Thanks for posting, Richard.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the answer is 42.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard - sent you a PM.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland, I answered your message. If you didn't get it, let me know.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:

The Solution:

Susan, to New York, blue t-shirt, Shasta Daylight logo.

Mark, to Boston, yellow t-shirt, Orange Blossom Special logo.

Tom, to Sacramento, white t-shirt, Broadway Limited logo.

April, to Denver, red t-shirt, Santa Fe Chief logo.

Bob, to Portland, green t-shirt, Denver Zephyr logo.

Richard

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I have a mistake in my unfinished grid.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page