RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Connecting in Fullerton

Author Topic: Connecting in Fullerton
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking a circle trip HOS-NOL-CHI-LAX-ANA-LAX-HOS in mid-March. I have never ridden the Southwest Chief before, and I haven't taken a Surfliner since they were called the San Diegans back in the 1980s. Currently Amtrak has me booked on #3 arriving LAX at 8:15 AM, then connecting to #768 departing L.A. at 9:50 as part of a two-zone AGR redemption. I don't plan to check luggage.

Does anyone foresee a problem, assuming #3 is on time, with bailing out at Fullerton and connecting there to one of the earlier Surfliners? Or, if I decide that I want to stay on and ride the SWC bumper-to-bumper, connecting with the 8:30 Surfliner at LAX? Will I still be able to sit in Business Class, space permitting? Suggestions from those more familiar with the L.A. area [cough Chris cough] are welcomed.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending how your train is doing and if you are tied jump off at Fullerton. If not ride on into LA and take the Pacific Surfliner south once you get there. That is what I do all the time.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric,

The Anaheim station sits seven miles from the Fullerton one. You may not want to waste any time connecting.

Even though you took what are now Surfliners down to San Diego in the 1980s, that line continues to be one of my favorites.

Where else does Amtrak have a station directly on a beautiful beach? Certainly not along the Atlantic coast of Florida, where you can't even see the ocean.

On many types of paid tickets, you may encounter little or no difference in fare to extend to San Diego. On a sector limited pass, you can always add a Metrolink train Anaheim to LAX and end up with no additional Amtrak sectors.

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/routes/

Also, consider adding the Grand Canyon as a side trip, which can be even more spectacular in March when snow covers the less vivid flat areas accentuating the bright canyon walls.

That side trip can be ticketed by Amtrak as part of your through trip.

Enjoy the SWC also one of my favorites!

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don—

Good ideas all, but for better or worse I've decided to visit The Mouse. I took the Grand Canyon Railway to the Rim in September 2007, and when I was in the Navy in the '80s I spent a fair bit of time in San Diego. I might want to refresh my acquaintances with these areas, but not this trip...I'm only able to take one week off work, and two nights in New Orleans, two nights in Anaheim, and five nights on trains pretty well fills that up!

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would never deny you a visit to Mickey! [Smile]

Have a great trip.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page