RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » October Trip

Author Topic: October Trip
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This fall I am thinking about a trip. One plan would be to take the Zephyr from CHI to SAC, CA. I would visit with a high school buddy whom I have not seen in over 50 years.Then I would rent a car and visit the Yosemite and Sequoia parks. From there drive to Flagstaff and catch the Southwest Chief to KCY and then the Mo River Runner on to Kirkwood. My question is, does it make any difference as to scenery whether one travels east or west on the Zephyr?

Another plan was to go east. I would take the Lake Shore Limited from CHI to Boston. I noticed that you have a choice of stations in Boston. Is there a preference as to North or South stations?

From Boston I would go to NYP. Then take the Cardinal back to CHI and Lincoln Service to STL. On this leg of the journey I would have the option
riding on the Acela from BOS to NYP. Is it worth the price?

Are there any opinions concerning Superliners or Viewliners as to preference?

Any thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would take the Zephyr Westward, because there is a chance the Eastbound one might be late, and you would be finishing your trip through the Rockies in darkness. Of course, you would see Denver's lights from a distance as you descend the Front Range, but a cloudy evening might spoil even that.
Boston's North Station only hosts Amtraki's Downeaster to Maine, and some MBTA commuter trains. Unless you are going to Maine or one of the suburban towns like Lowell, you'll have no reason to use that station.
You must be referring to Back Bay Station. Which one you use may depend on where you will be staying. Either one hosts all trains.
Whether the Acela is worth the price depends on how much the experience of riding America's most modern train is worth to you. It doesn't hold a candle to the high speed trains of Europe and East Asia, but its comfort and service level, as well as its speed, put it way above the NEC's standard Amfleet trains.
Just one question: Have you looked into riding the San Joaquin to Merced and renting a car there? It might save some money over renting the car in Sacramento, and driving from there to Flagstaff.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JN, Thanks for the information. I had not thought of The San J to Merced option. My knowledge of the area is weak. Westbound CZ would be a better choice for my agenda. Good to hear it might be preferable.
Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to keep an eye on the Hertz website under "Special Offers" or "Destination Deals". In Fall they have had an "Arizona In" rate for one way rentals into Arizona from selected origin points. Evidently they need cars there in the winter.

I used it last October Denver to Flag for $10.99/day unlimited mileage in a Nissan Altima. Only eligible return location in Flag was the airport and they are only open til 6 pm, but the taxi service there is excellent.

Catching #4 out of Flagstaff at 4am in October is chilly, but the stars are beautiful. I see why they built an observatory there.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a rental car you might look in Fresno. I remember getting a dirt cheap rate at the Fresno airport for a trip to Yosemite. The highway scenery between Sacramento and Fresno isn't very interesting--you might enjoy the trip more from the train.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jerome Nicholson:
I would take the Zephyr Westward, because there is a chance the Eastbound one might be late, and you would be finishing your trip through the Rockies in darkness. Of course, you would see Denver's lights from a distance as you descend the Front Range, but a cloudy evening might spoil even that.

Or could even make it better! I once did just this, with a clear sky while we were still high on the front range, while Denver itself was under a layer of cloud. But the taller buildings were visible, poking out of the clouds, lit up. The grade was more obvious than usual because we could see the cloud level rising up (well - the train going down), until we descended into the cloud not far above Big 10 curve.

Quite the experience, and probably something I'll not be able to recreate again. But I agree, westbound is generally better.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vincent206:
For a rental car you might look in Fresno. I remember getting a dirt cheap rate at the Fresno airport for a trip to Yosemite. The highway scenery between Sacramento and Fresno isn't very interesting--you might enjoy the trip more from the train.

This is just me, but when I take a trip I try to avoid driving as much as possible. Even if I didn't drive for a living, I wouldn't like having to keep my eyes on the road while passing great scenery.
To that end, I would see if there were guided tours of Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon from either Merced or one of the Park lodges. If so, I wouldn't need to rent a car until I got off the SJ in Bakersfield.
Fewer miles to drive.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are buses that connect with Amtrak, at Merced, I think, that get you to Yosimite. I leave it to others to check out the details, and even whether these are still in operation.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a YARTS bus (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System) from Merced to Yosemite. Click on the beige colored tabs to find bus schedules (Merced to Yosemite or Yosemite to Merced):

http://yarts.com/routes-and-schedules/merced-hwy-140/

The schedules are through May 10, so possibly there will be a change thereafter.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
After doing some Googling around, I've found that Yosemite is well served by the YARTS system, which transports people between the park and the towns of Merced and Fresno. The park has its own system for transport between sites in the park. Both also offer tours.
Sequoia is less well served. Their system serves a different set of towns than the ones served by Yosemite's system, and it stops running in September.
So I'd recommend the train from SAC to either Merced or Fresno, then renting a car from there. Though Yosemite might still be do-able without the car.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page