RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 2nd CHI-MSP Train Feasibility Study

Author Topic: 2nd CHI-MSP Train Feasibility Study
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The St. Paul Union Depot (SPUD) Facebook page just announced that the DOT's from Minnesota and Wisconsin have requested Amtrak to do a feasibility study of a 2nd daily train between the Chicago and the Twin Cities, possibly even further west to St. Cloud.

There are some nice maps, and about 70 pics suitable for foamers too (Click on exhibits 2 and 3).

I do love railroad maps.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/passengerrail/mn-chicago-study.html

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding another train between MSP and Chicago sounds like a good idea, but I must say that I have my doubts about it happening any time soon. Why? This feasibility study was presented on May 6, 2015 and the introduction to the study begins with this sentence:
quote:
This report was prepared by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) in response to a study request from the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) in May 2012.
Three years for Amtrak to complete a feasibility study! How long will it take Amtrak to plan and design the infrastructure work, hire and schedule the crews and fulfill all the other punch list items that must be completed before new service can commence? MnDOT should be made fully aware that they will have to assume leadership of this project and not expect Amtrak to provide the lead. Otherwise, this 2nd train won't turn a wheel until flying jet packs or personal drones have replaced train travel.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I do love railroad maps.
Lucky you! At another railfan site a bunch of links to USGS Guidebooks, published between 1915-33, has just appeared. The guidebooks follow the main east-west rail lines and contain maps of the routes. The guides are focused on the geology of the areas that the trains pass through, but there's plenty of other historical information included in the guides.

Northern Pacific

Overland Route

Santa Fe

Shasta Route & Coast Line

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for those, Vincent206. I see many hours in front of a computer in my future. And since I live at Milepost 7 on the Northern Pacific, I'm also learning about the geology of my neighborhood.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vincent -- yes, indeed! I too use those bulletins for some of my railroad guides. They are all available from the U.S. Geological Survey on line at http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/

Specifically:

NP route--USGS Bulletin #611
Overland Route -- USGS Bulletin #612
ATSF Route -- USGS Bulletin #613
Shasta Route & Coast Line -- USGS Bulletin #614

And let me add:
SP route (NOL-LAX) -- USGS Bulletin #845
D&RGW route -- USGS Bulletin #707

The ones Vincent found are from the 1910-1915 period, but the ones I added were published in the 1930's.

I actually have hard copies of all these, which I got when we thinned out our library of non-used publications at one of my former places of employment. I had stored them in a bookcase in the basement of one of my previous homes on the bottom shelf, then had a flood in the basement, so the bulletins, precious and valuable as they are, are basically ruined now, but a few pages survived, and I can either use what is still usable in my books, or use the USGS on-line publications.

Good find, Vincent!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page