RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroad signs?

Author Topic: Railroad signs?
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

On my latest trip I began to wonder what all of the signs along the tracks mean. Some of them I already know such as W and X. There were several that I didn't know. Do any of you know of a resource that describes what all of the signs mean?

By the way, I just returned on Wednesday from my trip to CHI on the Texas Eagle. #21 stopped just outside of Longview (I think) because we had a near miss with a low-boy trailer. We had stopped several times for freights so I wasn't paying that much attention until I heard them talking about it on my scanner.

Otherwise, the trip was uneventful - #22 was on time until just outside of CHI where freights held us up. We arrived CHI about 45 minutes late. #21 was running about an hour late but we made it all up and arrived on time in FTW. We had a great crew on #22, #21 was okay but not near as good.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Option 1:

Find yourself a copy of the Boy Scout Railroading merit badge pamphlet.

Option 2:
Find a book of rules from a railroad.

Option 3:
Dig around google and find someone who has a website dedicated to rr signs.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
Option 1:

Find yourself a copy of the Boy Scout Railroading merit badge pamphlet.

Option 2:
Find a book of rules from a railroad.

Option 3:
Dig around google and find someone who has a website dedicated to rr signs.

John

I tried option 3 and only seemed to find hobbyist kinds of sites - selling signs for model rr.

Option 2: Might you have a name of a book?

Option 1: I wasn't a scout - didn't know such a thing existed.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrydraper
Member # 737

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrydraper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a fourth option: Go to http://altamontpress.com (note no www) and purchase any of their Railfan Timetables. The are all for areas of the west, but each has pages covering roadway signs, signal aspects, etc. They have a lot of interesting information and are well worth the price.
Posts: 35 | From: Alhambra, CA USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does the X mean anyhow? No whistle?
Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"W"s and "X"s have the same meaning- blow your horn for an upcoming crossing. I guess it depends on the railroad. "W" for whistle, and "X" for crossing, or Xing.
Sometimes you'll see an X or W with a number posted under it, indicating the number of crossings.
A P-# and F-# on a yellow sign indicates freight and passenger speed limits. White signs with a few numbers on it usually indicates a milepost. Signs like ATS and CTC indicate what type of features and signaling a specific section of track has. There are quite a few more.
Finding a printed source would be the best way!
Hope you enjoyed your trip!
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to BNSF's System Special Instructions (SSI). Go to page 50 for their RR signs. http://www.bnsf-ttc.com/bnsftime/ssi100302.pdf.
You'll probably have to get a hold of a UP SSI to see what theirs are like.

Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry the link doesn't work. Go to www.bnsf.com then look under "Team BNSF" for rules then the SSI.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cajon,

That was exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for...

Thanks!

Mark

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally the "special instructions" portion of an employee timetable defines all relevant signs (and some nonverbal warnings, such as the diagonal or triangular flags that tell snowplow operators when to lift their flangers (such as at grade crossings).
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page