RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report WOR to RNO Part 3

Author Topic: Trip Report WOR to RNO Part 3
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the train approaches Reno, it follows rather closely the California emigrant trail along the Truckee River. On time arrival at Reno was thwarted by some track work and a switch that had to be turned manually. At Reno I got a cab over to the airport, having learned earlier that a bus runs every couple hours from there to the Lake Tahoe resorts. There is a desk near Baggage Carousel #5 where you can buy a ticket. Very scenic ride down to the lake!

Since this is a rail forum, I will not discuss the convention here. On my return trip we left Reno on time eastbound. This time I was in a regular sleeper, but in a downstairs room. The Zephyrs I rode had Superliner II sleepers. OK, but not as nice as the renovated Superliner I cars. Fortunately, the dining car steward waited until after the Reno people boarded to take dinner reservations.

The train was hauling a second Sightseer Lounge probably for repairs. It was right behind my sleeper. On the second afternoon, our attendant got permission from the conductor to let people from our sleeper sit in it for a while. He had to sit there with us. This was through the scenic Gore and Byers Canyon parts of the route through the Rockies. The weather was fine, allowing some great photo opportunities.

Arrival in Denver was early. Had plenty of time to walk around the station. I found a coffee shop that had newspapers for sale. I'm one of those old-fashioned folk who enjoy printed newspapers. Also had plenty of time in Chicago during the long layover until the LSL leaves at 9:30 PM. The rest of the trip was uneventful. At Albany, Massachusetts-bound passengers had simply to walk across the platform to the waiting Boston Section. Arrival in Worcester was about an hour late. Had to wait a while for a commuter train to Boston to clear the track. End of report.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page