TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SWC/CS Route Director

Author Topic: SWC/CS Route Director
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to an ATSF Historical mini meet at the weekend which was most interesting. The last speaker of the day was a gentleman who was the Amtrak Route Director for the Coast Starlight and Southwest Chief, based in LA. Primarily it was about the Raton Pass re-route (or not as the case stands) but he also mentioned several other issues that he and his colleagues have worked on. Some random take-aways:
- Pacific Parlour cars on the Starlight are here to stay, as long as he has his way
- Red beans and rice, and Dr Pepper on the Sunset - because that's what Texans and Louisianians (?) like apparently.
- New reservations system coming next year
- Possibility of removing a car on the SWC between Albuquerque and Kansas City as demand is much lower on that segment
- Possibility of adding a dedicated car for the Scouts with overflow into the regular train
- Expansion of the box meals for coach passengers since it's low cost and minimal effort as it's prepared off-train.
- I can't remember the specifics of this but there was mention of improving the variety in the diner. The chefs are real trained chefs and I think the gist of it was that they would be given more freedom to create meals but from the same raw materials supplied by the current vendors. Let's say for the sake of example the chef might be able to do a roast chicken one day and then a chicken casserole the next day - same chicken pieces.

An enthusiastic man who says he has minimal interference from HQ so things do bode well around here.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, Geoff.

Instead of adding a dedicated car for Scouts, I would rather have them add a parlour car with dittos for the Builder and Zephyr.

I shudder at the idea of a switch to box lunches for any passengers. If they are as terrible as the box lunch I had on Empire Builder #28, last summer, I think it would be a disaster.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like this guy has the right idea, but am skeptical that he will be able to get HQ support to make the changes. I especially like the recognition that the diner menu needs some variety.

As we all know, Amtrak really doesn't like to switch cars enroute, so will be interesting to see if he can make the consist changes he discussed. I would imagine this would only involve a coach as most of the sleepers seem to have longer haul passengers.

Richard- somewhat surprised you didn't care for the EB box dinner. We thought the breakfast box was actually pretty good. Wonder if this is a way to eliminate the lounge car attendant and have small snacks and drinks available in the lounge part of the diner - perhaps using a CCC car.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, the box meals are an on-departure item offered in addition to diner and lounge car service, aimed at cost-conscious coach passengers. He showed a picture of one of them: a hot (temperature) Salisbury steak with mash potato and the standard mixed veg. Not my choice of food, especially as even he called it hamburger meat at one point, "named meat costs extra" in the words of Terry Pratchett.

You have every right to be skeptical, Palmland, though some changes he's already pushed through.

I also was a little concerned about the switching in and out of a car en-route (twice). I guess they do it on the Builder and California Zephyr without too much drama though. Whose responsibility (and $$$) will it be to secure and clean the extra car between trains though, I wonder.

He had nothing good to say about the CCC cars so I suspect those are off the cards if he can help it.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't wish to imply that a special, dedicated car for the Scout camp would not be a good idea. However, I think a parlour car would be very popular. I think they could even attach a premium price to food and appetizers, rather than have it complimentary or at low cost, as long as the food/wine quality was excellent.

Mr. Palmland. Before my journey on #28, someone posted a favorable remark regarding the box meal on #28. I was expecting a very good cheese and fruit plate. However, it was Alpo reheated beef, some sort of veggie, fruit, and stale bread. I have tasted very good box lunches and even very good microwave re-heated food plates. So, I have to think it could be possible. However, with Amtrak...well, not optimistic.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Union Pacific cookbook from very late in the day (1968-69, dome diners were still in service). The options which were available to Chef were vast indeed, given he had a decent spice cabinet onboard.

That piece of chicken? Baked, fried, casseroled...

Ditto the ground beef. Just because it's patties when it's loaded onto the diner...

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page